A man who went on a bloody rampage across Christchurch before police shot him has been jailed for six and a half years.
Zakariye Mohamed Hussein, 27, was sentenced in Christchurch District Court on Thursday after earlier admitting kidnapping, assault and weapons charges.
Judge David Saunders ruled Hussein must spend at least three years and three months behind bars before being considered for parole, the Christchurch Court News website reports.
In March, Hussein was shot twice by police in morning traffic as, armed with two knives, he attacked a council worker and got into a fight with a truck driver.
Earlier, he had kidnapped the female driver of a delivery van and driven her across the city.
She was stabbed in the shoulder when she fought him and he jumped out in traffic.
Hussein's lawyer Allister Davis apologised to everyone involved, and particularly to his two victims, on behalf of Hussein and his family.
Hussein believed he had been possessed by the devil at the time.
"He is aware of the effects his behaviour on this day has had on all of the victims. He is filled with remorse. He doesn't know what has caused this," Mr Davis said.
Hussein now had no use of the arm where he had been shot by the police, he said.
The court was told Hussein and his family left Somalia for a refugee camp when the civil war broke out there.
He had seen his uncle shot dead and left on the family's front doorstep, and had seen women being violated.