Prime Minister John Key has defended his trip to Los Angeles last week to meet with Hollywood movie moguls, saying it was worth it because it was about jobs and the economy.
Mr Key told TVNZ's Breakfast programme that among the issues discussed was the possibility that the subsidy scheme available to film-makers could be tweaked to make New Zealand more attractive for television productions.
Under the Large Budget Screen Production Grant, 15 per cent of locally incurred costs can be claimed back in tax.
However, to access this, film-makers must spend $15 million.
Mr Key said he will be taking advice on the possibility of lowering the spending threshold to encourage more television series to be made in New Zealand.
"I can see the barrier that it creates for them, because these series, once they commit to a place where they make them for the long term, if they can't make the pilot then they don't tend to make the series there," he said on Monday.
Film director James Cameron has earlier said that altering the subsidy scheme to keep pace with changes in the New Zealand dollar was another topic of discussion.
Mr Key said he thought the trip was "worth it".
"This is about jobs and the economy and actually really exciting jobs for young New Zealanders."
Meanwhile, Mr Key told Radio New Zealand that Megaupload founder and internet piracy accused Kim Dotcom was mentioned in passing in his discussions with Chris Dodd, head of the Motion Picture Association of America.
"I wouldn't say that the conversation was very, very long about the topic, simply noted that the case was ongoing in New Zealand, we pretty much left it there," he said.