The norovirus outbreak which closed a ward at Auckland's Middlemore Hospital last week appears to be under control.
Up to 136 people at the hospital, many of whom were staff, were showing signs last Thursday of the easily-spread viral gastroenteritis, which causes nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
But few new cases were reported on Friday and hospital spokeswoman Lauren Young says it was under control by Tuesday.
"It's business as usual at the moment," she told NZ Newswire.
She said patient to patient transmission had been their biggest concern but that seemed to be under control.
Ms Young said the virus usually affected people for a day or two, though it was always present in the community.
The hospital's adult medical centre, Ward 5, was closed during the outbreak but was now back open again.
Tauranga Hospital had been dealing with a similar outbreak the previous week.