News | Boxing
25 Oct 2014 5:51
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Ski Report
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Boxing

    Kiwi not recognised by Mundine camp

    Anthony Mundine's camp did not recognise his New Zealand opponent ahead of their press conference on fight eve in Brisbane.


    It seems cynics weren't the only ones asking "who is Gunnar Jackson" ahead of Anthony Mundine's WBA junior middleweight title fight in Brisbane on Wednesday night.

    Mundine's next opponent is so unheralded the Australian boxer's camp did not recognise him.

    "Gunnar?" asked Mundine's manager Khoder Nasser as he looked around the room ahead of Tuesday's press conference.

    Sitting patiently in the front row barely a metre away from Nasser, Jackson quietly got up and took his place next to Mundine in front of the TV cameras.

    Still, Mundine would have just been thankful New Zealand middleweight champ "Gunnar the Stunner" had arrived after a chaotic build-up to the fight.

    Initial opponent Carson Jones last week pulled out due to the 'flu and his replacement - American journeyman Billy Lyell - failed to sign his contract on time.

    That forced Nasser to ask Jackson (18 wins, six knockouts, four losses) to ditch his usual work juggling drain laying and being a janitor.

    Nasser shouldn't feel too bad about not being familiar with Jackson - even boxing experts would have been scratching their heads pointing out the Kiwi on Tuesday.

    Jackson is positioned more than 100 places below Mundine, who is No.4 in the WBA junior middleweight standings.

    Mundine insisted that it was still a worthy stepping stone toward meeting Floyd Mayweather by year's end, with a mooted next fight scheduled against the renowned Joshua Clottey who has gone the distance with Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto.

    "Last year I fought (Daniel) Geale in January and (Shane) Mosley in November, I can't be that inactive at this stage of my career," said Mundine (45 wins, 27 KOs, five losses).

    "I have to fight every three months or 10 weeks (to be in contention for Mayweather)."

    Mundine admitted though that Jackson was a "fill in fight".

    "But for me this guy is more dangerous than Mosley," he said.

    "He has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

    "For him, I am his Mosley and (Manny) Pacquiao.

    "I know he will give his all, it's a big opportunity for him."

    Jackson, 27, was as unassuming behind the microphone as he was waiting for the press conference to start.

    "I thank Anthony for the opportunity. I am confident I will last the 10 rounds," he offered.


    NZN




    © 2014 NZN, NZCity


     Other Boxing News
     17 Oct: Parker outclasses durable Williams
     15 Oct: Unbeaten Parker ready for tough opponent
     05 Sep: Man seriously injured by falling tree
     31 Aug: Cameron to fight Meehan in Auckland
     21 Aug: Tuatara's cousin also survived asteroid
     10 Aug: Parker too powerful for Thompson
     07 Aug: Motorcycle convoy pays tribute to Morris
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Sky renews rugby coverage contract More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Cavalier shares drop 10 per cent More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    No haka drama: NZ league captain 21:56

    Entertainment:
    Kanye West has whisked Kim Kardashian West off on a romantic holiday. 21:48

    Entertainment:
    Demi Lovato admits Taylor Swift is one of the few celebrities she is friends with. 21:18

    Rugby League:
    Kangaroos rookies to get Test shot: Sheens 21:16

    Entertainment:
    Kendra Wilkinson thinks Hank Baskett is being blackmailed. 20:48

    Entertainment:
    Katy Perry has flown to Morocco for her 30th birthday. 20:18

    Entertainment:
    Sofia Vergara's ex-fiancé claims they only split because she didn't want to have a baby. 19:48

    Entertainment:
    Kesha reportedly swore under oath that Dr. Luke never assaulted her. 19:18

    Motoring:
    First fatality of the holiday weekend 18:56

    Entertainment:
    Tina Fey wants Neil Patrick Harris to sing at the 2015 Oscars. 18:48


     News Search






    Power Search


    Click for info on advertising with WebAds
    © 2014 New Zealand City Ltd