News | Rugby
26 May 2017 4:18
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Rugby

    Not guilty plea over All Blacks' hotel bug

    A security consultant charged over a bugging scandal involving the All Blacks has pleaded not guilty.


    An All Blacks security guard has pleaded not guilty to making up claims he found a bugging device in the New Zealand rugby team's Sydney hotel last year.

    Court documents show police allege Adrian Gard lied to officers when he said he found the illegal bug "secreted in a chair situated in the All Blacks' meeting room" at the InterContinental in Double Bay in August.

    Gard, 51, appeared in Waverley Local Court on Tuesday morning charged with one count of false misrepresentation resulting in a police investigation and entered a plea of not guilty.

    His lawyer, Simon Joyner, requested the next hearing be held when All Blacks management and their coach, Steve Hansen, were in Australia.

    Outside court, Joyner reiterated that Gard will fight the charges.

    "He has participated with the police investigation and he respects the All Blacks and what they represent," Mr Joyner said. Gard made no comment.

    After Gard was charged earlier this year, Mr Hansen said he was a trusted and well-respected member of the team, describing the charge as "bizarre and unbelievable".

    Gard has more than 30 years' experience in the security industry and has worked for leading public figures including former US President Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and golfer Tiger Woods.

    He's been involved with the All Blacks' security for 10 years.

    Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver has previously stressed the Wallabies were never accused of any wrongdoing.

    There were reports at the time the alleged bugging may have been an inside job by someone within the All Blacks' camp.

    It took five days for NZRU to come forward about the incident, and the Wallabies were angered by the distraction on match day. The All Blacks won the Test 42-8.

    Gard's matter is scheduled to return to court on May 2.

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Rugby News
     25 May: Rebels' Hodge in for Crusaders rugby clash
     25 May: Hardwick keen to further Wallabies case
     25 May: Super Rugby round-14 preview panel
     25 May: Leitch dropped for Chiefs lapses
     24 May: Wallaby, Force skipper McCalman hurt again
     24 May: Read happy to sign on with NZ Rugby again
     24 May: Tahs seeking Super Rugby upset under roof
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Rebels' Hodge in for Crusaders rugby clash More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Chorus increases bank facility More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Manchester attack: UK authorities investigating Abedi's possible links to radical Islamist groups 21:57

    Rugby:
    Rebels' Hodge in for Crusaders rugby clash 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Kevin Hart wants to run against Dwayne Johnson at the 2020 US election 21:37

    Rugby League:
    NRL preview panel for round 12 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Nicole Kidman keeps her family and working lives "separate" 21:07

    International:
    How Schapelle Corby the cover girl was born 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Naomi Watts has "good days and bad days" since splitting from Liev Schreiber 20:37

    Entertainment:
    Katy Perry will be paid $25 million to judge 'American Idol' 20:07

    Entertainment:
    Jessica Simpson's husband Eric Johnson has "never" seen her perform 19:37

    Entertainment:
    Kevin Bacon "didn't have enough coke" to pick up women at Studio 54 19:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd