News | Rugby
13 Dec 2017 7:03
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Days of Xmas
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Rugby

    Not guilty plea over All Blacks' hotel bug

    A security consultant charged over a bugging scandal involving the All Blacks has pleaded not guilty.


    An All Blacks security guard has pleaded not guilty to making up claims he found a bugging device in the New Zealand rugby team's Sydney hotel last year.

    Court documents show police allege Adrian Gard lied to officers when he said he found the illegal bug "secreted in a chair situated in the All Blacks' meeting room" at the InterContinental in Double Bay in August.

    Gard, 51, appeared in Waverley Local Court on Tuesday morning charged with one count of false misrepresentation resulting in a police investigation and entered a plea of not guilty.

    His lawyer, Simon Joyner, requested the next hearing be held when All Blacks management and their coach, Steve Hansen, were in Australia.

    Outside court, Joyner reiterated that Gard will fight the charges.

    "He has participated with the police investigation and he respects the All Blacks and what they represent," Mr Joyner said. Gard made no comment.

    After Gard was charged earlier this year, Mr Hansen said he was a trusted and well-respected member of the team, describing the charge as "bizarre and unbelievable".

    Gard has more than 30 years' experience in the security industry and has worked for leading public figures including former US President Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and golfer Tiger Woods.

    He's been involved with the All Blacks' security for 10 years.

    Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver has previously stressed the Wallabies were never accused of any wrongdoing.

    There were reports at the time the alleged bugging may have been an inside job by someone within the All Blacks' camp.

    It took five days for NZRU to come forward about the incident, and the Wallabies were angered by the distraction on match day. The All Blacks won the Test 42-8.

    Gard's matter is scheduled to return to court on May 2.

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Rugby News
     12 Dec: Pulver 'delivered' for Australian rugby
     12 Dec: NZ Rugby congratulates Raelene Castle
     12 Dec: All Blacks returning to Pretoria
     11 Dec: Ieremia takes over as Auckland rugby coach
     11 Dec: New Zealand end sevens series drought
     10 Dec: NZ through to sevens quarter-finals
     08 Dec: All Blacks Sevens tweaked for South Africa
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Pulver 'delivered' for Australian rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Kiwi up vs Aussie on weak biz confidence More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    Stronger Nth Qld pack to be NRL 'targets' 6:27

    International:
    Donald Trump's Jerusalem move ends US role in peace process, Palestinian leader Hanan Ashrawi says 4:37

    Politics:
    PNG's life-saving church rural health services face closure after months without government funding 22:47

    Soccer:
    Socceroos coach must be Aussie: Merrick 21:57

    Rugby League:
    RLPA calls for review of third party deals 21:17

    International:
    Chinese 'rooftopper' Wu Yongning plunges to his death from 62-storey tower as $20,000 stunt goes wrong 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Ruby Rose has "always wanted" children 20:16

    Law and Order:
    PNG deputy electoral commissioner Simon Sinai arrested and charged with corruption 19:57

    Soccer:
    Injuries to test Glory's A-League depth 19:47

    Entertainment:
    Anastacia is "single with a smile" 19:46


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd