News | Rugby
26 Jun 2017 14:03
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Ski Report
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Rugby

    Not guilty plea over All Blacks' hotel bug

    A security consultant charged over a bugging scandal involving the All Blacks has pleaded not guilty.


    An All Blacks security guard has pleaded not guilty to making up claims he found a bugging device in the New Zealand rugby team's Sydney hotel last year.

    Court documents show police allege Adrian Gard lied to officers when he said he found the illegal bug "secreted in a chair situated in the All Blacks' meeting room" at the InterContinental in Double Bay in August.

    Gard, 51, appeared in Waverley Local Court on Tuesday morning charged with one count of false misrepresentation resulting in a police investigation and entered a plea of not guilty.

    His lawyer, Simon Joyner, requested the next hearing be held when All Blacks management and their coach, Steve Hansen, were in Australia.

    Outside court, Joyner reiterated that Gard will fight the charges.

    "He has participated with the police investigation and he respects the All Blacks and what they represent," Mr Joyner said. Gard made no comment.

    After Gard was charged earlier this year, Mr Hansen said he was a trusted and well-respected member of the team, describing the charge as "bizarre and unbelievable".

    Gard has more than 30 years' experience in the security industry and has worked for leading public figures including former US President Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and golfer Tiger Woods.

    He's been involved with the All Blacks' security for 10 years.

    Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver has previously stressed the Wallabies were never accused of any wrongdoing.

    There were reports at the time the alleged bugging may have been an inside job by someone within the All Blacks' camp.

    It took five days for NZRU to come forward about the incident, and the Wallabies were angered by the distraction on match day. The All Blacks won the Test 42-8.

    Gard's matter is scheduled to return to court on May 2.

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Rugby News
     26 Jun: All Blacks show Hurricanes the way
     26 Jun: Savea still in frame despite Ioane showing
     26 Jun: Black Ferns Sevens wrap up title in style
     25 Jun: Barrett has no qualms with NZ No.15 role
     25 Jun: Lions tactics likely to change: Hansen
     25 Jun: Hurricanes boosted by All Blacks
     25 Jun: Crotty, Smith face injury woes, Coles out
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    All Blacks show Hurricanes the way More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    NZ King Salmon lifts earnings guidance More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    Donald Trump, Narendra Modi parallels excited conservative Hindu nationalist group 13:57

    Golf:
    Ko slips further down world rankings 13:47

    Accident and Emergency:
    Otago plane crash investigation to begin 13:27

    International:
    Bali bombing: Guantanamo Bay detainee charged over 2002 attack, Julie Bishop welcomes move 13:17

    Boxing:
    Parker to fight Fury in Manchester 13:07

    Sailing:
    Dawson bronze wraps up World Cup regatta 12:27

    International:
    The silent partner: What it was like for journalist Eliza Harvey when her correspondent husband was shot 11:57

    Law and Order:
    Sir Ngatata Love's appeal dismissed 11:57

    Business:
    NZ King Salmon lifts earnings guidance 11:07

    Sailing:
    Team NZ must keep improving: Burling 10:48


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd