News | Politics
19 Aug 2017 23:21
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Ski Report
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Politics

    PM grilled in parliament over SAS raid

    Prime Minister Bill English has told parliament he's seen compelling evidence that New Zealand troops followed the rules of engagement during Operation Burnham.


    Prime Minister Bill English has told parliament he's seen "compelling evidence" that New Zealand troops conducted themselves professionally under the rules of engagement during Operation Burnham.

    Labour leader Andrew Little questioned Mr English closely on Tuesday about why he decided not to hold an inquiry into allegations in the book Hit and Run that civilians were killed during a raid on two villages that was led by SAS troops.

    The Defence Force has said New Zealand troops did not raid the villages named in the book, and Operation Burnham, which took place about two kilometres away, resulted in the deaths of nine insurgents.

    Under questioning, Mr English said it had been acknowledged since Operation Burnham took place in 2010 that it was possible there had been civilian casualties, but that had not been substantiated.

    "The book talked about a series of events in a place where New Zealand troops did not go," he said.

    "So that book does not substantiate civilian casualties.

    "If there were substantive evidence of it, of course we would be interested in what role, if any, New Zealand troops played in those deaths."

    Mr Little questioned Mr English about the video of the operation taken by US helicopter gunships, but the prime minister said he wasn't going to discuss details.

    "Having viewed background material, including a small amount of classified material, I have come to the view that an inquiry into war crimes and misconduct is not required because there is no evidence that war crimes were committed," he said.

    "And the evidence is compelling that our troops conducted themselves professionally in accordance with the rules of engagement, under legal supervision."

    The Hit and Run authors, war correspondent Jon Stephenson and investigative reporter Nicky Hager, claimed six civilians were killed - two by SAS ground forces and four by US helicopter gunships - and 15 were injured during an attack on two villages.

    After Mr English announced on Monday there wasn't going to be an inquiry, Mr Little said there was still too much doubt around the background and planning of the operation, and whether or not civilians died.

    "There are some serious allegations in [the] book, they look reasonably substantiated ... and I just don't think it should be left up to the Defence Force to be the final arbiter of what the truth is about this matter," he said.

    "I have great respect for (chief of defence) Tim Keating and the Defence Force personnel but they should not be left to judge their own situation where they are faced with allegations."

    Mr Hager said Mr English's decision was concerning.

    "He has joined the people trying to hide and dodge over what happened," he said.

    "This does not appear to be a rational decision based on evidence, it is helping the military bureaucracy avoid having to front up - it is the next step in the seven year cover-up."

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Politics News
     19 Aug: Protesters greet PM English in Dunedin
     19 Aug: Croatian president to arrive in NZ
     18 Aug: Dunne sets the record straight about Joyce
     18 Aug: Ardern still backs Greens as a partner
     18 Aug: Jacinda Ardern could make history
     17 Aug: Joyce was told last week about citizenship
     17 Aug: Barclay replaced in Southland electorate
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Kerr kicks Counties Manukau to opening win More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Board asks for more money in dieback fight More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    Taylor injured, but to remain a Tiger 23:17

    Law and Order:
    Barcelona terrorist attack: What we know 22:27

    Rugby:
    Kerr kicks Counties Manukau to opening win 21:47

    Entertainment:
    Katie Holmes was left "very sore" and "bruised" after going on a 60-foot water slide on holiday 21:32

    Entertainment:
    Nina Dobrev's dog brought her "back to life" after her cat died 21:02

    Motorsports:
    Coulthard wins amid Kiwi Supercars bust-up 20:37

    Entertainment:
    Emma Bunton had a tattoo tribute to her fiancé inked on her finger while "tipsy" on Tuesday night (15.08.17) 20:32

    Law and Order:
    Police search for Heke in Mt Albert 20:07

    Entertainment:
    Alfonso Ribeiro insists there won't be a 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' reunion 20:02

    Entertainment:
    Lake Bell has named her baby boy Ozzy 19:32


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd