News | Accident and Emergency
29 Apr 2017 3:56
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Accident and Emergency

    Power still out for some after storm

    Mud flowing into storm water drains is a problem after Cyclone Cook and power is still not restored to all areas.


    Power is still out to some residents two days after Cyclone Cook swept across the country.

    The storm on Thursday and Friday wasn't as bad as feared and many people have set off for Easter holidays in its wake.

    Still, power companies in the eastern Bay of Plenty and Hawke's Bay report fallen trees have significantly damaged their networks.

    Hawke's Bay electricity company Unison says 400 customers remain without power on Saturday night, down from 15,000 when the storm struck.

    Manager Danny Gough says there's extensive damage to the network in remote areas, mostly from fallen vegetation.

    Horizon Networks says there's significant damage to power lines in the Whakatane and Opotiki districts, and at 4pm on Saturday 600 customers remained without power.

    ""The weather forecast is predicting further rain for the district over the coming days, this may result in further outages and delays in restoring supply across the region due to slips and trees," Horizon says.

    "Even customers fortunate to have had their power supplies restored today should prepare themselves for further extended outages."

    Eastland Power had 400 homes in Gisborne and the East Coast without power earlier on Saturday.

    Meanwhile Whakatane residents and businesses are urged to be careful how they clean up and ensure mud is not hosed into storm water drains.

    While Edgecumbe remains vulnerable to further flooding, the warning applies to the whole Whakatane District, Civil Defence Controller Paula Chapman says.

    "Mud and silt in the system may block pipes and cause flooding when further rain comes," she said.

    "This message doesn't just apply to Edgecumbe - the whole district's stormwater system depends on it being free of mud and silt."

    She advised residents to pile mud and silt on berms outside, or near, their properties, which will then be collected in the coming days.

    Authorities have been busy on Saturday clearing slips, reopening roads and working to restore electricity and increase the supply of water.

    MetService meteorologists have said Auckland was lucky to have been spared the full force of Cyclone Cook's damaging winds.

    The weather system made landfall to the east of Auckland, but had it tracked further west, the country's biggest city could have been subject to the storm's heaviest winds.

    This included a 209km/h gust at White Island, north of the Bay of Plenty coast where the storm caused widespread damage.

    The Coromandel Peninsula was subject to the heaviest falls from Cook with more than 200mm falling in 60 hours, while 150-200mm fell in the Kaimai Ranges to the south, the MetService said in a round-up of Cook's impact.

    Areas north west of Nelson in the South Island experienced the heaviest falls with 350mm falling in the 60 hours.

    But this was caused by a low pressure system coming from the Tasman that later combined with Cook to bring further falls.

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Accident and Emergency News
     28 Apr: Bus crashes after driver stung by bee
     28 Apr: Pre-made emergency kits sub-par: Consumer
     27 Apr: SH1 reopens after Northland crash
     27 Apr: No charges yet after Otahuhu pursuit death
     27 Apr: Local man found dead on Tauranga beach
     26 Apr: Body may be man missing in Manukau Harbour
     26 Apr: Dead climbers in Fiordland are named
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Chiefs confident replacements can step up More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    ACCC drops action against Fonterra More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    The man who gets Sydney FC ready to wiggle 21:56

    Rugby League:
    Broncos' Milford named for Samoa Test 21:16

    Law and Order:
    Boy found safe in Newcastle after being taken from Brisbane's Lady Cilento Hospital 21:06

    Law and Order:
    Private funeral for Verity McLean 19:26

    International:
    Donald Trump's learning curve has at times been beyond vertical in first 100 days… but it's early 19:26

    Soccer:
    Sydney FC the fittest? Not so, says Lowe 18:56

    Health & Safety:
    Hemp seeds to be allowed in food in NZ 18:36

    Basketball:
    Sydney Kings chasing big men for NBL 18:06

    Rugby League:
    Nicoll-Klokstad backed to make NRL grade 17:26

    Business:
    ACCC drops action against Fonterra 16:56


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd