News | Rugby
22 Aug 2017 13:24
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Ski Report
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Rugby

    Rebels say no Super Rugby deal with ARU

    Melbourne are demanding the ARU confirms it has no legal right to axe the Rebels from Super Rugby and say they won't sell the club to the governing body.


    The Melbourne Rebels are safe - for now - with negotiations for a sale deal between owner Andrew Cox and the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) off the table.

    The ARU is still intent on axing the Rebels or the Western Force with the Super Rugby competition downsized next year to 15 teams.

    But any plans for the ARU to buy the licence, held by Cox and his Imperium Group, and terminate the club are no longer up for discussion.

    The Rebels issued a statement on Friday night saying they wouldn't engage in negotiations with the ARU in "relation to the sale or cancellation of its Super Rugby licence".

    The Melbourne franchise repeated their call from last month for the ARU to publicly confirm it legally had no right to remove them from the Super Rugby competition.

    "The Melbourne Rebels wish to reiterate its clear legal position that the ARU has no legal right to "cut" them as a team in the Super Rugby competition," the club said in a statement.

    "The ARU must come out and publicly put an end to the speculation.

    "For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, neither the Melbourne Rebels nor its owners will engage with the ARU in relation to the sale or cancellation of its Super Rugby licence."

    The offer was reportedly around $6 million, although the ARU has been under pressure from the Victorian Rugby Union (VRU), Victorian government and Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA) to withdraw it.

    The boards of the VRU and RUPA, which include Test captain Stephen Moore, this week voted to force the ARU's board into a special general meeting.

    A date is yet to be set for this meeting, as well as time for an "informal discussion" about the Super Rugby saga between all parties within the coming week.

    The Victorian government welcomed the declaration by the Rebels, saying it would continue to work with the Melbourne club and the ARU to ensure the future of the game.

    "A Super Rugby franchise in Melbourne is crucial for the growth of the game in Victoria, which is why the Government is working with the Melbourne Rebels, the Victorian Rugby Union and the Australian Rugby Union to ensure the club remains in the competition going forward," a statement from Minister for Sport John Eren's office said.

    Cox's future with the Rebels remains uncertain with former Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom still hopeful of securing a deal to buy the franchise.

    Elsom is part of a group of private investors, interested in securing the future of the Rebels.

    Despite Cox denying this week he has had negotiations with Elsom, the ex-player has signed a confidentiality agreement which signals otherwise.

    Elsom has checked out Melbourne's books and is believed to see plenty of upside in the franchise.

    He also doesn't want to see the Force fold, saying five Australian teams are not only viable but necessary for the success of Australian rugby.

    "I'm under a confidentiality agreement so I'm limited in what I can say," Elsom said.

    By selling the franchise to Elsom, Cox would have honoured his commitment to the Melbourne players and staff that he wouldn't sell for the club to be axed.

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Rugby News
     22 Aug: Black Ferns boost bench for US semi-final
     22 Aug: Wallabies staying stubbornly optimistic
     21 Aug: Meads 'truly made a difference': IHC
     21 Aug: Wallabies still believe, says Beale
     21 Aug: Larkham sees hope for maligned Wallabies
     20 Aug: Colin Meads, New Zealand rugby union legend, dies aged 81
     20 Aug: Wallabies refuse to panic in face of flak
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Black Ferns boost bench for US semi-final More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Comvita gains as earnings beat guidance More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Robin Thicke and Paula Patton have reached a custody agreement 13:16

    Politics:
    Donald Trump looked directly at the eclipse, ignoring his own government's safety advice 13:07

    Law and Order:
    Inquest begins into Kiwi rocker's death 13:07

    Business:
    Comvita gains as earnings beat guidance 12:57

    Entertainment:
    Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott is pregnant with twins 12:46

    Business:
    Ingham's posts 2.5pc gain in FY earnings 12:27

    Entertainment:
    Kendra Wilkinson Baskett won't "sugarcoat" her parenting 12:16

    Environment:
    Rare birds released at Mackenzie Basin 11:57

    Entertainment:
    Kate Beckinsale is “scared” to let her daughter leave home 11:46

    Entertainment:
    Justin Bieber has been “getting better” since cancelling the remainder of his world tour 11:16


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd