News | Rugby League
21 Oct 2017 16:19
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Ski Report
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Rugby League

    Tedesco to enter Origin without game time

    West Tigers fullback James Tedesco won't play another NRL game before State of Origin III after he was ruled out of Sunday's clash with Newcastle.

    - article from www.rugbyleague.co.nz

    NSW fullback James Tedesco will head into the State of Origin decider without a game under his belt for three weeks, after being ruled out of the Wests Tigers' clash with Newcastle on Sunday.

    Tedesco hasn't played since the Blues' 18-16 loss in Origin II at ANZ Stadium, where he suffered an ankle injury while celebrating a Mitchell Pearce try.

    Tigers coach Ivan Cleary confirmed on Saturday Tedesco's lateral ligament tear would again force him out of the Knights clash this weekend, after he skipped the team's loss to Gold Coast last Friday.

    But he said he didn't anticipate the injury would cause him any issues in next Wednesday's Origin clash at Suncorp Stadium

    "James won't play -- he hasn't come through from the ankle injury," Cleary said.

    "It's not long-term, he should be fine (for Origin)."

    Winger Kevin Naiqama will against shift to fullback against his former club, as both struggling teams desperately try and avoid being locked in last place on the ladder.

    "Kevvie has now had a couple of weeks in the role and has learnt a bit each time," Cleary said.

    "He's certainly familiar with the ground up there in Newcastle having been up there for a few years."

    News of Tedesco's withdrawal was well received in Newcastle - who enter a game as favourites for the first time since September 2015.

    Returning back rower Jamie Buhrer admitted stopping the dangerous Tigers No.1 had been a key part of their game plan.

    He also joked he would like to see Tedesco rested to be fresh for Origin III, before being informed of his confirmed absence for the Tigers.

    "As a New South Welshman I'm very happy, and as a Newcastle Knight I'm very happy as well," Buhrer said.

    "He's a great player and one less worry."

    STATS THAT MATTER

    * Newcastle are favourites for the first time since round 26, 2015.

    * The two sides have won just five of 29 games between them this year.

    * Former NSW halfback Trent Hodkinson is expected to earn a recall for Newcastle, after spending two months in reserve grade.

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Rugby League News
     20 Oct: Cronk calls for offers from Sydney clubs
     20 Oct: How Rugby League World Cup will play out
     20 Oct: Gardiner keen to plug Kiwis defence
     20 Oct: No budget, no worries for new Titans coach
     20 Oct: Cheika wants more Indigenous Wallabies
     19 Oct: Panther Moylan not on Titans' NRL hit list
     19 Oct: Tough mid-season for Warriors in new draw
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Delany, Bateman boost Crusaders backline More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Shares rise as weak dollar helps companies More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    Glory and Mariners hunt first A-League win 16:17

    Motorsports:
    Hartley sharpens up for F1 debut 15:27

    Soccer:
    Roar expect plenty from French AL recruit 15:27

    International:
    10 foolproof ways to defend yourself from the magpie menace 15:17

    Politics:
    Japan election: Shinzo Abe and his policies are unpopular, so why are voters set to stick with him? 14:57

    Politics:
    Trump administration congratulates Ardern 14:57

    Living & Travel:
    Fatal crash near Turangi closes road 14:47

    International:
    'It's about bloody time': Period 'blood' shown in advertisement in effort to confront taboos 14:37

    Entertainment:
    Tom Hanks has urged men to “pipe down” and allow women “to be heard” in the wake of the sexual harassment allegations against Harvey Weinstein 14:03

    Politics:
    Greens announce who will be ministers 13:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd