News | International
26 Sep 2017 13:19
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Ski Report
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Star Wars: JJ Abrams will return to direct Episode IX, release pushed back

    Disney just replaced another director and films are being pushed back. So what's happening with the galaxy's biggest film franchise?


    Star Wars is having a bit of a rough trot.

    The film franchise should be gearing up for the sequel to its staggeringly successful Episode VII in December.

    Instead, Disney just had to replace a second director on a Star Wars film in the past six months.

    It has passed the reins of Episode IX back to Force Awakens director JJ Abrams, who is going to direct and write the movie.

    So what's been going on in a galaxy far, far away lately?

    First, the Han Solo spinoff lost its directors

    In June, directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were replaced with Hollywood veteran Ron Howard deep into production.

    How deep?

    Variety reported at the time there were just "weeks" of shooting left to go when they were shown the door.

    The pair reportedly clashed with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy over their vision for the film.

    At the moment, the movie is still scheduled for release on May 25, 2018.

    Don't hold your breath though.

    It wasn't the first time Disney booted a director.

    In 2015, the company fired director Josh Trank from work on another Star Wars spinoff. And extensive reshoots on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story led to widespread speculation director Gareth Edwards had been unofficially sidelined by Tony Gilroy.

    Then the same thing happened with Episode IX

    Last week, Disney split with director Colin Trevorrow, citing differing creative visions for the sequel to this year's The Last Jedi.

    There hasn't been time for the dust to settle, but Vulture reports Trevorrow's last film, the critically panned Book of Henry, might have given Disney cold feet.

    Unlike the Han Solo spinoff, there's been much less work completed on Episode IX.

    The film faces creative challenges after the death last year of Carrie Fisher, who plays the franchise's Princess Leia.

    Along with the appointment of Abrams, Disney has announced Episode IX will be pushed back six months to a December 20, 2019 release date.

    That's not a massive shock to fans, given Disney's preference for a December release with Force Awakes, Rogue One and The Last Jedi so far.

    Now Abrams is back on board

    He'll be the only director aside from franchise creator George Lucas to direct more than one Star Wars film.

    Kennedy said Abrams, "delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for" on The Force Awakens and added: "I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy."

    Abrams will co-write Episode IX with screenwriter Chris Terrio, who won an Oscar for adapting Argo, and also co-wrote Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

    News of Abrams' return was greeted warmly by fans on social media. He hasn't directed or committed to directing another project since The Force Awakens, and instead had been focused on producing.

    ABC/Reuters

    © 2017 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other International News
     26 Sep: Bali volcano eruption threat not affecting tourism, airport says
     26 Sep: Myanmar: Rohingya refugees' future unclear as Bangladesh registers flood of arrivals
     26 Sep: NZer's laundry plea against deportation
     25 Sep: Japan to go to the polls next month after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe calls snap election
     25 Sep: The truth about soaring power prices: wind and solar not to blame
     25 Sep: Bali volcano: Evacuations continue as tremors suggest Mount Agung eruption imminent
     25 Sep: Bali volcano: This is why experts think Mount Agung will erupt soon
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Record loss won't define Springboks: coach More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Kathmandu lifts annual profit 14pc More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    Cowboys grand final fever spreads 13:07

    Entertainment:
    Kylie Jenner's family is "over the moon" by the news that she is expecting 12:59

    Entertainment:
    Paris Hilton has "completely fallen" for Chris Zylka 12:29

    Business:
    Kathmandu lifts annual profit 14pc 12:27

    Entertainment:
    Kris Jenner is remaining tight-lipped about Kylie Jenner's pregnancy 11:59

    Law and Order:
    Wigged killer faces Crown appeal 11:57

    Business:
    Fonterra boss tops NZ's pay list 11:37

    Entertainment:
    Chrissy Teigen's husband John Legend is the "easiest part of everything" for her 11:29

    Living & Travel:
    Bali volcano eruption threat not affecting tourism, airport says 11:27

    International:
    Myanmar: Rohingya refugees' future unclear as Bangladesh registers flood of arrivals 11:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd