News | Local Politics
25 Nov 2017 22:35
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Olympic Games
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Local Politics

    Govt cool on Auckland port expansion

    Ports of Auckland has revealed expansion plans to cope with the next 30 years, but the government doesn't want it to happen in the CBD.


    Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has poured cold water on the Ports of Auckland's proposal to extend one of its wharves by 13 metres into Waitemata Harbour.

    "What I'm happy to say is that I have always opposed port expansion at its current site," Ms Ardern said after meeting Auckland Mayor Phil Goff on Thursday.

    While the is positioning the longer wharf as part of a package that would also see another wharf removed, a spokesman for Ms Ardern confirmed the government saw the new proposal as a bid for expansion.

    The port's proposal, released on Thursday morning, has irritated key ministers, who regard the proposal as being deaf to the agreement in the coalition agreement between Labour and the New Zealand First parties to investigate moving the port to another site.

    NZ First leader Winston Peters campaigned on moving the port to Whangarei and upgrading the rail connection to Auckland.

    A Future Port Study last year concluded the port's current CBD location would not be able to handle projected freight growth over the next 50 years. It floated alternative sites, including Northport near Whangarei, sites in the Firth of Thames, the Manukau Harbour on Auckland's west coast, and a site near the surf beach of Muriwai.

    The port says any move to a new site could take 30 years and in the meantime it is proposing a five-storey car-handling building (to hide imported cars from view), deepening berths and expanding wharf space, as well as a hotel or public-use building on Quay Street linking with a 1ha park that would sit above a 2600-space car park.

    Ports chief executive Tony Gibson disputes the Bledisloe Wharf extension will require any harbour reclamation it will be on piles.

    The port is proposing building 1.25ha of new wharf and removing 1.25ha of old wharf, including the Marsden wharf.

    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Local Politics News
     11 Nov: Gavin Buckley elected Mayor of Annapolis after jibes about his Australian background
     08 Nov: Goff heads Auckland's biggest trade group
     03 Nov: Northland council can include GMOs
     03 Nov: Chinese mayors heading to NZ for talks
     02 Nov: Christchurch council drop sex worker bylaw
     28 Oct: Outrage at Auck Council comms spending
     20 Oct: Buying a Queenstown house is 'impossible'
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Simplicity key to last Test win: Whitelock More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Source of foul smell in Auckland revealed More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    Mariners thump Phoenix to end winless run 21:56

    Motorsports:
    McLaughlin in box seat for Supercars title 21:46

    International:
    Donald Trump and Time magazine dispute Person of the Year plans 21:26

    Auckland:
    Car crashes near diners at restaurant 21:17

    Cricket:
    West Indies in the runs in tour opener 19:16

    Politics:
    Tamaki defies critics at Auckland rally 18:36

    International:
    NZ condemns terrorist attack in Egypt 18:06

    Politics:
    Outside team to report to Govt on housing 17:26

    Education:
    Kiwi students physically restrained 16:56

    Entertainment:
    Noel Gallagher has dismissed his brother Liam as his "former tambourine player" 16:50


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd