News | Local Politics
26 Feb 2018 1:02
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Local Politics

    Govt cool on Auckland port expansion

    Ports of Auckland has revealed expansion plans to cope with the next 30 years, but the government doesn't want it to happen in the CBD.


    Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has poured cold water on the Ports of Auckland's proposal to extend one of its wharves by 13 metres into Waitemata Harbour.

    "What I'm happy to say is that I have always opposed port expansion at its current site," Ms Ardern said after meeting Auckland Mayor Phil Goff on Thursday.

    While the is positioning the longer wharf as part of a package that would also see another wharf removed, a spokesman for Ms Ardern confirmed the government saw the new proposal as a bid for expansion.

    The port's proposal, released on Thursday morning, has irritated key ministers, who regard the proposal as being deaf to the agreement in the coalition agreement between Labour and the New Zealand First parties to investigate moving the port to another site.

    NZ First leader Winston Peters campaigned on moving the port to Whangarei and upgrading the rail connection to Auckland.

    A Future Port Study last year concluded the port's current CBD location would not be able to handle projected freight growth over the next 50 years. It floated alternative sites, including Northport near Whangarei, sites in the Firth of Thames, the Manukau Harbour on Auckland's west coast, and a site near the surf beach of Muriwai.

    The port says any move to a new site could take 30 years and in the meantime it is proposing a five-storey car-handling building (to hide imported cars from view), deepening berths and expanding wharf space, as well as a hotel or public-use building on Quay Street linking with a 1ha park that would sit above a 2600-space car park.

    Ports chief executive Tony Gibson disputes the Bledisloe Wharf extension will require any harbour reclamation it will be on piles.

    The port is proposing building 1.25ha of new wharf and removing 1.25ha of old wharf, including the Marsden wharf.

    © 2018 NZN, NZCity


     Other Local Politics News
     07 Feb: Kaikoura water reservoirs to be replaced
     06 Feb: High Court finds Devonport Mayor Steven Martin eligible to replace Jacqui Lambie
     02 Feb: No charges over ruptured fuel pipeline
     31 Jan: Council supports dog ban to save penguins
     27 Jan: Meet the Indonesian mayor who refuses to bow to hard-line Islamist clerics
     26 Jan: Asbestos inflates Christchurch track bill
     25 Jan: Christchurch's water to be chlorinated
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Quad injury sidelines Tahs lock Simmons More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Stiassny heads public media advisory group More...



     Today's News

    Cricket:
    Taylor ton and Santner knock see NZ home 22:45

    Health & Safety:
    Bad batch of Ecstasy makes people ill 21:55

    Law and Order:
    Russell McVeagh defends culture again 21:15

    Living & Travel:
    Missing hunter found on Stewart Island 19:45

    Golf:
    Steady Campbell wraps up NZPGA title 19:35

    Rugby League:
    Eels flex muscles in NRL trials 18:55

    Soccer:
    Muscat rejoices after Victory bounce back 18:05

    Rugby League:
    Eels, Roosters big winners of NRL trials 16:55

    Business:
    Stiassny heads public media advisory group 16:45

    Entertainment:
    Winter Olympics: Garlic Girls' dream crushed as Sweden takes curling gold 16:05


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd