News | Soccer
25 Apr 2018 12:28
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Soccer

    Sydney FC braced for January offers

    Midfielder Josh Brillante fears Sydney FC could become a victim of their own A-League success when the January transfer window opens for business next week.


    Sydney FC are renowned for never worrying about the opposition.

    But the A-League champions may have to start on January 3 when the January transfer window opens for business.

    Saturday night's home clash with Perth is the Sky Blues' final match before circling overseas clubs can start making moves to try and poach Graham Arnold's stars midway through their title defence.

    Five points clear at the top, the value of Sydney's record-breaking squad has continued to swell and the club has already been fielding interest from home and abroad for their 11 off-contract players.

    This next month could be a lesson in deterrence.

    Arnold has insisted he is not bracing to lose his most prized personnel to the lucrative Asian market, much like Matt Jurman's move to South Korea this time last year.

    Midfielder Josh Brillante only hoped his coach was right, fearing the FFA Cup-winners could become a victim of their own success on the eve of an Asian Champions League campaign.

    "It's definitely a possibility," Brillante said.

    "I hope no one goes away and we all stay here.

    "We've been playing really well and everyone gets along so well.

    "It might cause a little bit of disruption, but that's the way football is."

    Brillante still has a year to run on his three-year contract and said he was yet to hear of any interest in himself.

    His concern for the time being is the visiting Glory - and, in the back of his mind, a long-awaited Socceroos recall in time for the World Cup.

    Brillante is enjoying exceptional form as a midfield workhouse alongside Brandon O'Neill.

    The 24-year-old has five international caps but hasn't been called up for three years.

    "That's my goal," he said.

    "It's been like that for the few years since I haven't been in there.

    "No matter who goes in there as the coach it's going to be the same thing for me."

    Sydney are undefeated in their last 22 home games and, with a win or draw against Perth on Saturday, can equal Brisbane's 2010-11 record.

    Also in their favour is that the Sky Blues have won the last seven games in all competitions against Kenny Lowe's side, scoring 22 goals and conceding two in the process.

    "It's hard to pin-point what it is," Brillante said.

    "We're always trying to play our style, no matter what team it is.

    "Maybe it's something they're doing and not necessarily us.

    "I'm not sure why we have such a good streak against them but we'll be going out the same way and trying to do the same thing."

    OFF-CONTRACT AT SYDNEY FC: Alex Brosque, Jordy Buijs, David Carney, Bobo, Charles Lokoli Ngoy, Milos Ninkovic, Andrew Redmayne, Matt Simon, Alex Wilkinson, Michael Zullo, Christopher Zuvela.


    NZN




    © 2018 NZN, NZCity


     Other Soccer News
     24 Apr: Phoenix boss addresses licence concerns
     23 Apr: Adelaide on track in A-League: Kurz
     23 Apr: A-League semi-finals preview
     23 Apr: Victory ready for another Big Blue
     22 Apr: Berisha wins it for Victory in A-League
     22 Apr: A-League semi-finals preview
     22 Apr: Stalemate between NZ rivals in OFC semi
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Squire unlikely for French Tests More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    NZ shares mixed ahead of Anzac Day holiday More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Shania Twain used to be "very monotone" in relationships until she met her husband 12:23

    Entertainment:
    Katie Price has hit back at her critics after she was forced to pull out of the London Marathon on Sunday (22.04.18) 11:53

    Rugby:
    Squire unlikely for French Tests 11:36

    Entertainment:
    Sir Rod Stewart used to have women "throwing themselves" at him 11:23

    Wellington:
    Pacifist grandad remembered on Anzac Day 11:06

    Entertainment:
    Janelle Monae worries she won't have children because she's so focused on her career 10:53

    International:
    Young Ni-Vanuatu surfer attracts attention after wowing competition with duct-taped board 10:46

    International:
    Giving life back to a people who have no hope 10:46

    Basketball:
    Taipans add Loe to NBL playing roster 10:46

    Entertainment:
    Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith offered Prince $400,000 to perform at a private party 10:23


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd