News | Soccer
22 Apr 2018 19:00
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Soccer

    Burns returns to troubled Phoenix

    Striker Nathan Burns has signed back on with the Wellington Phoenix, hoping to rekindle the award-winning form of his 2014-15 season.


    A-League-topping striker Nathan Burns has agreed to return to the ailing Wellington Phoenix, hoping to rekindle the goal-producing form of his 2014-15 season.

    The club on Saturday announced the 29-year-old Australian had signed a two-year contract.

    Burns last played for the Nix in 2014, scoring 13 goals, helping the club to a finals appearance and winning the Johnny Warren medal for the league's best player.

    He's since played in Japan's J-League with FC Tokyo and Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

    "He's a player with a top, top pedigree, a tremendous work ethic and ambition to succeed and he's somebody that's synonymous with some of the best times we've seen at this club," General Manager David Dome said.

    Burns has already arrived in the capital and passed his medical, meaning he may make a much-needed appearance when the Phoenix take on third-placed Melbourne on January 10.

    He said there had been "plenty of offers" from around Asia but the Nix had been his first choice.

    "When I was in Wellington I was playing really well, it was probably the highlight of my career, I had good players around me," Burns said.

    "And as soon as I landed again I felt happy to be in the city, it feels like home."

    Wellington have just one win and three draws from 11 games this season and are under increasing pressure after losing assistant coach Rado Vidosic, striker son Dario Vidosic and Brazilian midfielder Gui Finkler in the past month.

    Dome said the team wasn't resigning itself to defeat yet.

    "We're not accepting our current position on the table, we haven't given up on this season. We've gone through a major rebuild of our footballing department," he said.

    "It's so positive to see that quality players still want to buy in to what we're doing."


    NZN




    © 2018 NZN, NZCity


     Other Soccer News
     22 Apr: Stalemate between NZ rivals in OFC semi
     21 Apr: Winning habits boost City in A-League bid
     21 Apr: Home streak key to Victory AL final hopes
     21 Apr: Supreme City oust Roar in A-League finals
     20 Apr: Perth Glory axe A-League coach Kenny Lowe
     19 Apr: Popovic return to Wanderers unlikely
     19 Apr: Melb City will keep Arzani in A-League
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Black Ferns Sevens repeat Australian win More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Bank inquiry not needed in New Zealand More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    Smith wary of ex-Storm playmaker Green 18:47

    Rugby League:
    Eels v Sea Eagles, Sharks v Panthers: NRL round seven live scores, stats and commentary 18:16

    Rugby:
    Black Ferns Sevens repeat Australian win 18:16

    Living & Travel:
    Trent Boult's incredible catch dismisses Virat Kohli on the boundary rope in IPL 18:16

    Motorsports:
    McLaughlin takes Supercars Island double 17:46

    Politics:
    Victorian Government offers cash incentive to help households get better energy deal 17:36

    Rugby League:
    Skipper Smith waiting for Storm NRL offer 17:26

    Accident and Emergency:
    Swimmer missing at Omanawa Falls 17:06

    Basketball:
    Adams subdued as OKC lose to Jazz 16:56

    International:
    Kangaroos v Hawks, Lions v Suns: AFL round seven live scores, stats and commentary 16:46


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd