News | Soccer
23 Jan 2018 6:45
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Days of Xmas
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Soccer

    Burns returns to troubled Phoenix

    Striker Nathan Burns has signed back on with the Wellington Phoenix, hoping to rekindle the award-winning form of his 2014-15 season.


    A-League-topping striker Nathan Burns has agreed to return to the ailing Wellington Phoenix, hoping to rekindle the goal-producing form of his 2014-15 season.

    The club on Saturday announced the 29-year-old Australian had signed a two-year contract.

    Burns last played for the Nix in 2014, scoring 13 goals, helping the club to a finals appearance and winning the Johnny Warren medal for the league's best player.

    He's since played in Japan's J-League with FC Tokyo and Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

    "He's a player with a top, top pedigree, a tremendous work ethic and ambition to succeed and he's somebody that's synonymous with some of the best times we've seen at this club," General Manager David Dome said.

    Burns has already arrived in the capital and passed his medical, meaning he may make a much-needed appearance when the Phoenix take on third-placed Melbourne on January 10.

    He said there had been "plenty of offers" from around Asia but the Nix had been his first choice.

    "When I was in Wellington I was playing really well, it was probably the highlight of my career, I had good players around me," Burns said.

    "And as soon as I landed again I felt happy to be in the city, it feels like home."

    Wellington have just one win and three draws from 11 games this season and are under increasing pressure after losing assistant coach Rado Vidosic, striker son Dario Vidosic and Brazilian midfielder Gui Finkler in the past month.

    Dome said the team wasn't resigning itself to defeat yet.

    "We're not accepting our current position on the table, we haven't given up on this season. We've gone through a major rebuild of our footballing department," he said.

    "It's so positive to see that quality players still want to buy in to what we're doing."


    NZN




    © 2018 NZN, NZCity


     Other Soccer News
     22 Jan: Five-star Melbourne City rout Adelaide
     21 Jan: Mariners hold flat Sydney FC to draw
     20 Jan: Phoenix stun Jets 3-2 in A-League
     20 Jan: Victory beat Wanderers, go 3rd in A-League
     19 Jan: Jets ready to pounce if rivals slip in ACL
     19 Jan: Arnie's 'miracle' A-League milestone game
     19 Jan: Victory flag interest in Brisbane's Brown
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Liam Messam signs for Toulon More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Chch council gets Havelock response update More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    Chch council gets Havelock response update 6:06

    Cricket:
    Munro steers NZ to T20 win over Pakistan 21:56

    Motoring:
    One dead in Bay of Plenty road crash 21:16

    Law and Order:
    Australian filmmaker accused of spying in Cambodia moved to cell with 140 prisoners 21:06

    Entertainment:
    Screen Actors Guild awards: The big winners and why the awards were a little different this year 19:46

    International:
    Why we should forget losing weight and focus on healthy habits 19:27

    Law and Order:
    Police stay vigilant over Panmure brawls 18:56

    Politics:
    US shutdown: White House changes voicemail to say Democrats 'holding Government hostage' 18:26

    Business:
    NZ shares up as Ryman gains, Fonterra dips 18:06

    International:
    Rohingya resist push to return amid Bangladesh, Myanmar repatriation deal 17:46


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd