News | Soccer
24 Apr 2018 20:37
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Soccer

    Burns returns to troubled Phoenix

    Striker Nathan Burns has signed back on with the Wellington Phoenix, hoping to rekindle the award-winning form of his 2014-15 season.


    A-League-topping striker Nathan Burns has agreed to return to the ailing Wellington Phoenix, hoping to rekindle the goal-producing form of his 2014-15 season.

    The club on Saturday announced the 29-year-old Australian had signed a two-year contract.

    Burns last played for the Nix in 2014, scoring 13 goals, helping the club to a finals appearance and winning the Johnny Warren medal for the league's best player.

    He's since played in Japan's J-League with FC Tokyo and Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

    "He's a player with a top, top pedigree, a tremendous work ethic and ambition to succeed and he's somebody that's synonymous with some of the best times we've seen at this club," General Manager David Dome said.

    Burns has already arrived in the capital and passed his medical, meaning he may make a much-needed appearance when the Phoenix take on third-placed Melbourne on January 10.

    He said there had been "plenty of offers" from around Asia but the Nix had been his first choice.

    "When I was in Wellington I was playing really well, it was probably the highlight of my career, I had good players around me," Burns said.

    "And as soon as I landed again I felt happy to be in the city, it feels like home."

    Wellington have just one win and three draws from 11 games this season and are under increasing pressure after losing assistant coach Rado Vidosic, striker son Dario Vidosic and Brazilian midfielder Gui Finkler in the past month.

    Dome said the team wasn't resigning itself to defeat yet.

    "We're not accepting our current position on the table, we haven't given up on this season. We've gone through a major rebuild of our footballing department," he said.

    "It's so positive to see that quality players still want to buy in to what we're doing."


    NZN




    © 2018 NZN, NZCity


     Other Soccer News
     24 Apr: Phoenix boss addresses licence concerns
     23 Apr: Adelaide on track in A-League: Kurz
     23 Apr: A-League semi-finals preview
     23 Apr: Victory ready for another Big Blue
     22 Apr: Berisha wins it for Victory in A-League
     22 Apr: A-League semi-finals preview
     22 Apr: Stalemate between NZ rivals in OFC semi
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Black Ferns, All Blacks in double header More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    NZ shares mixed ahead of Anzac Day holiday More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Jennifer Lopez fears she's going to "fall flat on her face" when she takes on a new project 20:23

    Entertainment:
    Ewan McGregor's young daughter has posed completely nude for Playboy magazine 19:53

    Rugby League:
    Manly players fined over strip club visit 19:46

    Entertainment:
    Sinitta will "dish the dirt" on her ex-boyfriend Simon Cowell in her juicy tell-all book 19:23

    Business:
    NZ shares mixed ahead of Anzac Day holiday 18:56

    Entertainment:
    Michelle Keegan won't let her husband Mark Wright spend more than three weeks away from her 18:53

    Law and Order:
    Man found dead in Whanganui named 18:36

    Entertainment:
    Katie Price was forced to pull out of the London Marathon on Sunday (22.04.18) 18:23

    International:
    Young ni-Vanuatu surfer attracts attention after wowing competition with duct-taped board 18:16

    Basketball:
    Bogut sold on Kings' grand NBL vision 18:06


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd