Contractors are working to clean up asbestos at the site of a commercial building fire in Wellington and apartment dwellers nearby are being advised to wash cars and verandahs.
About 50 firefighters and nine trucks were sent to the blaze at the commercial building on Wigan Street in Te Aro at 1.30am on Sunday, a Fire and Emergency spokeswoman said.
One firefighter received minor injuries and was taken to Wellington Hospital.
There were no signs to suggest the fire was suspicious and investigators were at the scene on Sunday.
The damaged building housed photo imaging company INK Digital.
A spokesman for Wellington City Council said specialist asbestos contractors were at the damaged building on Sunday.
They would make the area safe and get rid of asbestos powder.
They would also oversee demolition once the site had cooled enough for machinery to get on to it.
"We are advising local apartment dwellers to wash their cars down and also wash verandahs and things like that just to get rid of any powder that has landed," he said.