News | Tennis
17 Jan 2018 4:09
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Days of Xmas
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Tennis

    Bautista Agut holds on for Classic triumph

    Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut has won the ASB Classic men's singles title, defeating Juan Martin del Potro in three sets in Saturday's final.


    Roberto Bautista Agut admits he had to take his tennis to a new level to trump Juan Martin del Potro in Saturday's ASB Classic final.

    The fifth-seeded Spaniard successfully held off a valiant del Potro fightback to secure a 6-1 4-6 7-5 win, and his second Classic crown in three years.

    He had previously won the Auckland title in 2016, and defeated Kiwi Michael Venus, Steve Johnson, Jiri Vesely and Robin Haase on his way to the final.

    Bautista Agut dominated Saturday's first set in every aspect, trumping his Argentine foe with an unerringly accurate ground-stroke game he couldn't repel.

    Yet at 4-4 in the second set, something clicked for del Potro.

    Where he had previously struggled to handle Bautista Agut's pace, the second seed began to take the ascendancy with big serves and bigger forehands.

    He soon after secured the second set 6-4, breaking Bautista Agut at the death, before the two players went blow-for-blow in the deciding set.

    Having failed to serve a single ace in the first set or hold serve, del Potro slammed nine aces in the following two sets and improved his first-serve rate.

    But in the end, it was the world No.12 who blinked first.

    Bautista Agut earned the championship-deciding break at 5-5 before overcoming del Potro's best efforts to serve out the match and lift the trophy.

    He was chuffed by his achievement.

    "Today I improved my level - I played much better tennis on this day, was very concentrated and played a good match," the 29-year-old Bautista Agut said.

    "I played very aggressive, tried to increase the speed of the ball and to have Juan Martin moving around the court, and not repeating a lot.

    "Well, I think today I had the match more under control than him - he was surviving with his serve (rather) than his strokes on the baseline."

    Saturday's triumph also extends a three-year Auckland winning streak for Bautista Agut, who has not lost a Classic match since the second round of 2015.

    He won in 2016 and withdrew ill from the 2017 event.

    Both he and del Potro will now look ahead to the Australian Open.

    "I'll have time enough to be ready, to get there, have some rest and try to practice a little bit, to get the body ready for a grand slam," Bautista Agut said.

    © 2018 NZN, NZCity


     Other Tennis News
     16 Jan: Australian Open: New statistics predict winners, chokers and hardest workers
     14 Jan: Experience key in Davis and Fed Cup teams
     14 Jan: Barcelona Open courtside models reveal health issues, fines handed down for sexual discrimination
     13 Jan: Heat a factor as del Potro loses Classic
     13 Jan: Pavic and Marach win Classic doubles
     12 Jan: Evergreen Ferrer keen to adapt, not perish
     11 Jan: Classic glory inches closer for del Potro
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Changes spark optimism among Tahs rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Shares up, A2 Milk, Auckland Airport rise More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Meet Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the only person pardoned by US President Donald Trump 22:16

    Rugby:
    Changes spark optimism among Tahs rugby 21:56

    Entertainment:
    Michelle Williams has had one of the most "indelible days" of her life after Mark Wahlberg donated $1.5 million to Time's Up 21:30

    Rugby:
    Speight wants rugby contract signed now 21:16

    Entertainment:
    Eliza Dushku claims she was sexually assaulted on the set of 'True Lies' when she was just 12 years old 21:00

    Entertainment:
    Khloe Kardashian will reportedly give birth in Cleveland 20:30

    International:
    Stifling a sneeze ruptured this man's throat, prompting a warning from doctors 20:16

    Entertainment:
    Nicole Scherzinger hits the gym "like a demon" to get in shape 20:00

    Entertainment:
    Mark Wahlberg is donating his $1.5 million reshoot fee for 'All The Money in the World' to Time's Up 19:30

    Entertainment:
    Liam Payne wants to build a bar in his house to hold his awards 19:00


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd