Firefighters have entered a burning house near Nelson to rescue a person from the flames.
The person was rescued from the Poole Street, Motueka, house just after 5.15am on Tuesday.
They were immediately handed over to ambulance staff, says Fire Emergency southern communications shift manager Brent Dunn.
The extent of their injuries was not clear.
"It was great work from that crew," he said.
The house was well alight when firefighters first arrived and were told someone might be inside.
Eventually 13 crews from around Motueka were called in to extinguish the blaze.
The house had since collapsed, Mr Dunn said.