St George Illawarra boss Peter Doust will retire at the end of the NRL season, ending the era of the longest-serving chief executive in the competition.
The Dragons on Thursday announced Doust would stand down from his post after his 18th season at the helm of the joint venture.
His greatest achievement was luring supercoach Wayne Bennett from Brisbane to Wollongong in 2009, which led to a breakthrough premiership one year later.
"I have, and will continue, to thoroughly enjoy my time in the role," Doust said in a statement.
"I feel very fortunate and privileged to have been afforded the opportunity to be the CEO of the Dragons and to have had a career in rugby league."
Doust revealed he had been mulling over the decision for the bulk of the summer before eventually informing club chairman Brian Johnston.
"I made the decision over the holiday break in consultation with my family, and I wanted to give Brian appropriate notice to allow he and the board the opportunity to plan for the future," he said.
"Essentially after 25 years in healthcare and 18 years in rugby league, I am at the stage in my life where I would like the time to pursue other interests.
"Rugby league, by its very nature, never stops.
"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the role, and am extremely passionate about the club and remain focused on its objectives before I finish up.
"However, I don't believe that now is the time to reflect on my time at the Dragons."
Johnstone said the club would discuss their options for Doust's successor just before their season-opener at a board meeting late next month.
The Dragons open the NRL season against Brisbane on March 8.
"I have the highest respect for Peter. His passion, dedication and leadership have been first class," Johnston said.
"His loyalty to the club, the staff and players has always been unwavering and we are very fortunate to have had him leading our club as CEO."