News | Environment
19 Mar 2018 12:03
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Environment

    Southern Response 'fully' supports inquiry

    A government investigation into allegations of spying on earthquake victims by Southern Response will be supported by the company.

    The company allegedly responsible for breaches of integrity and conduct when settling Christchurch earthquake claims says it will fully support an inquiry.

    The State Services Commission announced on Wednesday it would investigate whether Southern Response and one of its security contractors may have breached standards, allegedly spying on claimants to gather information on them.

    A tip-off was received by Minister for Greater Christchurch Regeneration Megan Woods regarding the company's use of private investigators that she referred to the commissioner for consideration.

    In written responses to NZ Newswire questions, Southern Response says information and communications about the four private investigation firms will be kept under wraps to protect privacy and issues of commercial confidentiality.

    When asked if Southern Response supported the State Services Commission inquiry, the answer was, "Yes, fully."

    State Services Commissioner Peter Hughes said the most appropriate course of action was an inquiry.

    "The material I have seen raises questions around compliance with standards of integrity and conduct for state servants," he said.

    The terms of the inquiry would be announced by the end of next week.

    Southern Response was set up by the government following the Canterbury earthquake in 2011 to handle AMI insurance claims after the insurer didn't have enough money to cover its debt, forcing the government to assume control of the business.

    The company has been marred by controversy after a class action lawsuit was launched last year by almost 50 claimants who had yet to have their claims settled six years after the earthquake.

    © 2018 NZN, NZCity

     Other Environment News
     17 Mar: Tracks closed in Goldie Bush reserve
     17 Mar: Police investigate Auckland house fire
     15 Mar: Scale of Kaikoura quake mudslide revealed
     15 Mar: Yellow-eyed penguin ocean tracking begins
     13 Mar: Fehi, Gita fill Meridian's cup
     13 Mar: NZ misses the worst of Cyclone Hola
     12 Mar: Cyclone Hola brings heavy rainfall, gales
     Top Stories

    Folau and Waratahs to soar to new heights More...

    Kiwifruit orchards marketed overseas More...

     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    Dogs need to be mentally tougher: Woods 11:55

    Health & Safety:
    Cirque du Soleil aerialist Yann Arnaud dies after falling during Volta performance 11:25

    McCartney capable of 5m pole vault: coach 11:05

    Kiwifruit orchards marketed overseas 10:45

    Accident and Emergency:
    Two yachtsmen rescued off Northland coast 10:25

    Ali to embrace 50th England Test 10:15

    Kiwi steady ahead of busy week 9:25

    Law and Order:
    Jakarta has a serious cat problem, containing it is dirty work 8:35

    Is Facebook being honest with you about how it targets ads? 8:25

    Melb Utd coach slams refs after NBL loss 8:15

     News Search

    Power Search

    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd