Police Minister Stuart Nash has extended his sympathies to the families of eight people who died on New Zealand roads this weekend, including three who died after a police pursuit.
The three died after two cars collided near the village of Hope, south of Nelson, at 5.40am on Sunday, taking the weekend toll to eight.
Two of them were in a vehicle fleeing police and the third was in the other car.
"This crash is a tragedy for the families of those who have died and for the police officers involved in the incident," Mr Nash said.
Fleeing drivers were a highly challenging event for police and it happened about 300 times a month, he said.
"Police are currently working closely with the Independent Police Conduct Authority to review their policies and practices around these unpredictable events, and I have asked for an update on progress in this review which is due to be completed later this year," he said.
"I also extend my sympathies to the families of five others who have died on the roads this weekend."
He said police were working hard to improve safety and prevent death and injury for all road users.
Superintendent Mike Johnson said police were conducting inquiries to locate a wanted person and had attempted to stop a vehicle on Gladstone Road in Richmond.
"The car failed to stop and fled, overtaking a truck and moving onto the wrong side of the road, where it crashed into another vehicle that was travelling north."
Supt Johnson said there will be an internal investigation regarding the pursuit and the IPCA had also been formally notified.
The five other deaths on the road this weekend were after two crashes in Northland and one in the central North Island.
The road toll this year now stands at 77 - nine more than this time last year.