News | Environment
26 Apr 2018 11:48
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Environment

    Police stand by CTV decision

    Police investigators continue to back their decision not to press charges over the collapse of the CTV building in the Christchurch earthquake.



    Police investigators continue to back their decision not to press charges over the collapse of the CTV building in the Christchurch earthquake, despite criticism from families of those who died or were injured in the tragedy.

    The building collapsed in the city centre following the 2011 February earthquake, killing 115 people, including 65 foreign students.

    Police said in November that legal advice indicated they were unlikely to get convictions if charges were laid, despite a 2014 engineer's report identifying a number of defects in the building's design.

    The CTV Families Group last week said they now plan to formally challenge that decision.

    The families, in particular, said recent documents obtained under the Official Information Act showed police eventually fell into line with the Deputy Solicitor-General, despite being unconvinced by his conclusion that there should be no prosecutions.

    However, Detective Superintendent Peter Read on Tuesday rejected this.

    "It is still the police position that the decision not to prosecute was correct when all of the relevant evidence and opinions are taken into account, not just individual pieces of information," he said.

    He disagreed with CTV Families spokesman Professor Maan Alkaisi, who had said the Deputy Solicitor-General "did not appear to be aware of all the relevant facts" regarding the decision.

    He said not only the Deputy Solicitor-General, but also the Crown solicitor and multiple reports issued following the tragedy had dealt with all relevant information surrounding the building's design and collapse.

    "We again acknowledge and understand that this has been a very difficult decision for the families of the CTV victims," he said.

    "We have tried to be as open and transparent as we can in publishing information to assist in their understanding of the complex, technical issues involved."


    NZN




    © 2018 NZN, NZCity


     Other Environment News
     26 Apr: Record penguin dive logged in NIWA study
     25 Apr: No plastic straws on Wellington waterfront
     22 Apr: Sod turned on one billion tree programme
     21 Apr: Tokelau's first newspaper aims keep islanders informed about climate change
     21 Apr: Govt, lawyers at odds on NZDF foam problem
     19 Apr: 170 Kaimanawa wild horses re-homed
     19 Apr: Moa poo helps rebuff scientific theory
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Squire unlikely for French Tests More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    CropLogic's managing director resigns More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    CropLogic's managing director resigns 11:46

    Tennis:
    Sitak upsets top seeds in Budapest 11:26

    International:
    National Memorial for Peace and Justice honours African American lynching victims 11:16

    Basketball:
    Breakers snare Ngatai on two-year contract 11:16

    Business:
    Kiwibank appoints Jurkovich as new CEO 11:06

    Accident and Emergency:
    Farmers back rescue helicopter protests 10:56

    Business:
    Chinese diplomats accused of illegally occupying a French Polynesian mansion 10:36

    Cricket:
    New faces boost White Ferns 10:36

    Business:
    ComCom and Auckland airport at odds 10:06

    International:
    China stakes claim on electric car market with 100 new models at auto show 10:06


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd