Police investigators continue to back their decision not to press charges over the collapse of the CTV building in the Christchurch earthquake, despite criticism from families of those who died or were injured in the tragedy.
The building collapsed in the city centre following the 2011 February earthquake, killing 115 people, including 65 foreign students.
Police said in November that legal advice indicated they were unlikely to get convictions if charges were laid, despite a 2014 engineer's report identifying a number of defects in the building's design.
The CTV Families Group last week said they now plan to formally challenge that decision.
The families, in particular, said recent documents obtained under the Official Information Act showed police eventually fell into line with the Deputy Solicitor-General, despite being unconvinced by his conclusion that there should be no prosecutions.
However, Detective Superintendent Peter Read on Tuesday rejected this.
"It is still the police position that the decision not to prosecute was correct when all of the relevant evidence and opinions are taken into account, not just individual pieces of information," he said.
He disagreed with CTV Families spokesman Professor Maan Alkaisi, who had said the Deputy Solicitor-General "did not appear to be aware of all the relevant facts" regarding the decision.
He said not only the Deputy Solicitor-General, but also the Crown solicitor and multiple reports issued following the tragedy had dealt with all relevant information surrounding the building's design and collapse.
"We again acknowledge and understand that this has been a very difficult decision for the families of the CTV victims," he said.
"We have tried to be as open and transparent as we can in publishing information to assist in their understanding of the complex, technical issues involved."