News | Rugby League
20 Jan 2020 7:13
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Days of Xmas
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Rugby League

    Prince Harry makes last public appearance before transition away from royal duties

    The draw of next year's Rugby League World Cup, of all things, played host to Prince Harry's first public appearance since the Queen gave him the go-ahead to transition away from senior royal duties.

    - article from www.rugbyleague.co.nz

    Prince Harry has completed his final public appearance before he and wife Meghan step back from senior royal duties.

    In his role as patron of the Rugby Football League, Prince Harry was present at Buckingham Palace for the draw of the 2021 Rugby League World Cup, which will be played in the United Kingdom.

    It was his first public appearance since Queen Elizabeth II acceded to the wishes of her grandson and his wife Meghan to reduce their royal roles and seek a more independent future.

    The World Cup draw was the last scheduled engagement for Prince Harry, sixth-in-line to the throne, before he and Meghan begin a "period of transition" to their new roles.

    Last week, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex sparked a crisis in the British monarchy by announcing they wanted to reduce their royal duties and spend more time in North America, while also becoming financially independent.

    The public announcement caught the rest of the royal family by surprise and left the Queen and other senior Windsors hurt and disappointed, according to royal sources.

    After a family summit on Monday at her Sandringham estate attended by the Queen, Prince Harry, elder brother Prince William and his father and heir to the British throne, Prince Charles, it was agreed that the couple would split their time between Britain and Canada.

    "Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family," the 93-year-old monarch said in a rare, personal statement.

    The couple have said they want a "progressive" new role for themselves and the ability to fund themselves.

    Currently they are not allowed to seek private income and most of their money comes from the private estate of Harry's father.

    Meghan is currently with son Archie in Canada, where she has carried out a couple of low-key events this week.

    Media reported Harry would stay in Britain for meetings next week as details about their future are hammered out before joining her.

    On Wednesday, Harry, who served for a decade in the British army, published a video to announce the location of the next Invictus Games sporting event for wounded military personnel, indicating he would still give his support to causes he feels strongly about.

    He was also part of the announcement that the Rugby League World Cup would become the first major global sporting event to have its own mental fitness charter.

    "Rugby league isn't just a sport, it's a community, and one that takes care of its own," he said.

    "For many years, it has been at the forefront of promoting and supporting good mental fitness, working hard to build a positive mindset for everyone involved in the sport."

    As one of the world's most glamorous couples, Harry and Meghan have struggled with intense media scrutiny, with Harry describing some coverage of Meghan as bullying, akin to the treatment his mother Princess Diana endured before her death in a 1997 car crash.

    Some observers have criticised British media for racism in its coverage of Meghan, whose mother is African-American.

    This week, the Mail on Sunday newspaper submitted its defence to court action by Meghan over the publication of a private letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle. The case could see Mr Markle testify against her.

    "There is a huge and legitimate public interest in the royal family and the activities, conduct and standards of behaviour of its members," lawyers for the paper said in documents submitted to London's High Court.

    Reuters/ABC

    © 2020 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other Rugby League News
     19 Jan: The Auckland Tuatara are looking to avoid a clean sweep from the Canberra Cavalry in their Australian Baseball League series tonight
     19 Jan: Sek Henry's determined to battle through a calf injury for the Breakers in their Australian basketball league game against Melbourne United
     19 Jan: Griffin Muller and Sam O'Dea have become the first Kiwi team to win an event on the FIVB beach volleyball World Tour
     18 Jan: RJ Hampton's future for the rest of the Breakers' Australian basketball league season is unclear
     18 Jan: The Auckland Tuatara have lost a third consecutive game to the Cavalry in their Australian baseball league series in Canberra
     17 Jan: The woes continue for English rugby's salary-cap breakers Saracens
     17 Jan: The Kiwis have been drawn alongside Lebanon, Ireland and Jamaica for the 2021 rugby league World Cup in England
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Saracens failure to get their house in order may cost them even more More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Tourism giant Real Journeys is building a village for its staff at Walter Peak to beat exorbitant Queenstown rents More...



     Today's News

    Cricket:
    Conor McGregor's successful return to the UFC has sparked interest from an old foe 5:06

    Basketball:
    Newstalk ZB Sport - 4:36

    Politics:
    The regulation of cannabis is one of the reasons a psychotherapist is voting yes in this year's cannabis referendum 21:57

    Law and Order:
    NSW fire death toll climbs to 21 as 84-year-old man injured in Cobargo bushfire dies in hospital 21:17

    Business:
    Tourism giant Real Journeys is building a village for its staff at Walter Peak to beat exorbitant Queenstown rents 21:17

    International:
    Conor McGregor drops Cowboy Cerrone in 40 second TKO at UFC 246 in stunning return to the octagon 19:07

    Law and Order:
    Police are still trying to find the people involved in a brawl outside a Napier restaurant 18:37

    Rugby League:
    The Auckland Tuatara are looking to avoid a clean sweep from the Canberra Cavalry in their Australian Baseball League series tonight 18:07

    Cycling:
    Dylan Kennett has won the fifth and final stage of the New Zealand Cycle Classic in the Wairarapa 17:37

    Netball:
    There's no such thing as an easy game against England 17:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd