News | International
16 Sep 2021 22:42
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Haiti's chief prosecutor calls for Prime Minister Ariel Henry to be charged over president's killing

    Haiti's chief prosecutor has asked a judge to charge newly installed Prime Minister Ariel Henry over the assassination of the Caribbean nation's president Jovenel Moise in July.


    Haiti's chief public prosecutor has asked the judge overseeing the investigation into the July assassination of president Jovenel Moise to charge newly installed Prime Minister Ariel Henry as a suspect, and ordered Migration Services not to let him leave the country.

    In a letter to Judge Garry Orelien, prosecutor Bed-Ford Claude said phone records showed that Mr Henry received two phone calls from a key suspect in Moise's killing on the night of July 7.

    That suspect — a former justice ministry official whom Mr Henry has publicly defended — has fled the country.

    In the letter, Mr Claude said that Mr Henry should be "forbidden from leaving the national territory by air, sea or road due to serious presumption relative to the assassination of the president".

    Chenald Augustin — who works in the PM's communications office — said it did not have an immediate comment. The Prime Minister last week dismissed the charges against him as politicking.

    Moise was shot dead when assassins stormed his private residence in the hills above Port-au-Prince, plunging the impoverished Caribbean country deeper into turmoil and a political vacuum.

    The 53-year-old former provincial businessman had been governing by decree for more than a year after Haiti failed to hold legislative and municipal elections amid a political gridlock and Moise had faced many calls to step down.

    Decades of political instability as well as natural catastrophes have plagued Haiti's development.

    Its aid-dependent economy is the poorest in the Americas, with more than a third of Haitians facing acute food insecurity and gangs have been turning swaths of the capital into no-go areas.

    Calls for PM to step down

    On Friday, Mr Claude had invited Mr Henry to meet with him to discuss the alleged phone calls with the suspect, noting that he could only summon the PM on presidential orders, but that the country remained without a president.

    Haiti's Office of Citizen Protection demanded on Saturday that Mr Henry step down and hand himself over to the justice system.

    Mr Henry retorted on Twitter that "no distraction, invitation, summons, manoeuvre, menace or rearguard action" would distract him from his work.

    The Prime Minister announced on Saturday that Haiti's main political forces had reached an agreement to establish a transition government until the holding of presidential elections and a referendum on whether to adopt a new constitution next year.

    That agreement establishes a Council of Ministers under Mr Henry's leadership.

    A constituent assembly made up of 33 members appointed by institutions and civil society organisations will have three months to prepare the new constitution.

    Moise's own attempts at holding elections and a constitutional referendum were attacked for being too partisan. Critics called them veiled attempts at installing a dictatorship.

    The president's supporters said he was being punished for going after a corrupt ruling elite and seeking to end undue privileges.

    Reuters


    ABC




    © 2021 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     16 Sep: Applause in Queensland Parliament gallery as historic bill passed, legalising voluntary assisted dying
     16 Sep: Targa Tasmania report into triple fatality calls for rally speeds to be reined in to avoid 'further deaths'
     16 Sep: Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor's murder verdict reversed over Justine Damond Ruszczyk's death
     16 Sep: Why Australia is teaming up with the US and UK to build nuclear-powered submarines
     16 Sep: The Barcelona lifeguards defying Europe to rescue migrants on the open sea
     16 Sep: Paris 2015 attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam says 130 deaths were 'nothing personal'
     16 Sep: How the world's sporting stars stole the spotlight at the Met Gala
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Damian McKenzie has been entrusted with the All Blacks 10 jersey for just the second time in his career More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The service industries have pushed up Gross Domestic Product figures More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    Applause in Queensland Parliament gallery as historic bill passed, legalising voluntary assisted dying 22:05

    Accident and Emergency:
    Two people are dead after a two vehicle crash south of Whanganui around 5.30 today 21:55

    Entertainment:
    Scooter Braun has splashed out $65 million on a new home 21:38

    Accident and Emergency:
    Lister Helicopters say they've lost a much-loved employee and friend 21:15

    Entertainment:
    Candace Cameron Bure exercises to keep her mental health “clear” 21:08

    Entertainment:
    Emma Raducanu plans to frame her message of congratulations from Queen Elizabeth 20:38

    Entertainment:
    Lana Del Rey is quitting social media 20:08

    Entertainment:
    Ben Affleck pushed away a fan who tried to get too close to Jennifer Lopez 19:38

    Entertainment:
    Mandy Moore wants to direct an episode of ‘This Is Us’ 19:08

    International:
    Targa Tasmania report into triple fatality calls for rally speeds to be reined in to avoid 'further deaths' 19:05


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2021 New Zealand City Ltd