News | Business
18 Dec 2017 0:42
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Days of Xmas
  • News
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Business

    CentrePort counts cost of earthquake

    Wellington's port operator has returned an annual loss, largely due to November's earthquake.

    12 October 2017


    CentrePort is still counting the cost from November's Kaikoura earthquake.

    The Wellington port operator posted a loss of $2.3 million in the 12 months ended June 30, from a profit of $11.6m a year earlier, it said in a statement on Thursday.

    Underlying profit before earthquake-related income, fair value adjustments and tax slipped 32 per cent to $10.8m.

    CentrePort was forced to suspend operations immediately following the November 14 earthquake as it dealt with damage to its buildings and liquefaction, and it was forced to modify its services to get them up and running.

    In the past year, the port has received $173m of insurance income which helped fund a $28m temporary works programme to secure 125 metres of the 585-metre wharf. That enabled its two ship-to-shore cranes to resume operations last month.

    Some 185 piles were driven an average of 40 metres into the soil, and 644 gravel columns were embedded in the ground to reduce liquefaction from future earthquakes.

    Chief executive Derek Nind says the past year had been "like a rollercoaster" as the company got the business back up and running, set about assessing the damage from the quake, and worked out whether assets should be demolished or repaired.

    The company estimates total material damage claims to total $350m for the port and more than $106m for commercial properties.

    The port has told its shareholders, the Wellington and Manawatu-Wanganui regional councils, that it's unlikely to pay a dividend for three years following the quake.

    In the latest year, its operating revenue fell 16 per cent to $63.7m, not including $9m in business interruption insurance. Operating expenses were little changed at $60m.


    NZN




    © 2017 NZN, NZCity


     Other Business News
     17 Dec: Rural roads get $22.5m makeover
     17 Dec: Dry spell hits water supply in Nelson
     16 Dec: Blenheim water safe after chemical fears
     16 Dec: Water restrictions for Tauranga
     15 Dec: Rupert Murdoch dismisses Fox News sexual harassment allegations as 'largely political'
     15 Dec: Petrol shortages after fuel line shutdown
     15 Dec: CBA's Vittoria Shortt to take up ASB reins
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Australia bidding for 2027 Rugby World Cup More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Rural roads get $22.5m makeover More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    Sweet relief as Santalab snaps WSW drought 21:57

    Motoring:
    Bullets new NBL road kings 21:17

    International:
    Brisbane Roar v Melbourne Victory: A-League live scores, stats and commentary 20:57

    Soccer:
    City's McCormack cleared of ACL injury 20:47

    Basketball:
    Desperate Kings register rare NBL win 20:27

    Accident and Emergency:
    Ten injured in pile-up on SH1 20:07

    Soccer:
    Jets A-League captain urges caution 19:17

    Cricket:
    Wellington v Otago T20 game washed out 18:57

    Cricket:
    Uncommon Smith's peculiar habits 18:07

    Soccer:
    FFA to cull VAR personnel after more drama 17:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2017 New Zealand City Ltd