News | Tennis
17 Mar 2018 19:08
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Tennis

    Bautista Agut holds on for Classic triumph

    Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut has won the ASB Classic men's singles title, defeating Juan Martin del Potro in three sets in Saturday's final.

    Roberto Bautista Agut admits he had to take his tennis to a new level to trump Juan Martin del Potro in Saturday's ASB Classic final.

    The fifth-seeded Spaniard successfully held off a valiant del Potro fightback to secure a 6-1 4-6 7-5 win, and his second Classic crown in three years.

    He had previously won the Auckland title in 2016, and defeated Kiwi Michael Venus, Steve Johnson, Jiri Vesely and Robin Haase on his way to the final.

    Bautista Agut dominated Saturday's first set in every aspect, trumping his Argentine foe with an unerringly accurate ground-stroke game he couldn't repel.

    Yet at 4-4 in the second set, something clicked for del Potro.

    Where he had previously struggled to handle Bautista Agut's pace, the second seed began to take the ascendancy with big serves and bigger forehands.

    He soon after secured the second set 6-4, breaking Bautista Agut at the death, before the two players went blow-for-blow in the deciding set.

    Having failed to serve a single ace in the first set or hold serve, del Potro slammed nine aces in the following two sets and improved his first-serve rate.

    But in the end, it was the world No.12 who blinked first.

    Bautista Agut earned the championship-deciding break at 5-5 before overcoming del Potro's best efforts to serve out the match and lift the trophy.

    He was chuffed by his achievement.

    "Today I improved my level - I played much better tennis on this day, was very concentrated and played a good match," the 29-year-old Bautista Agut said.

    "I played very aggressive, tried to increase the speed of the ball and to have Juan Martin moving around the court, and not repeating a lot.

    "Well, I think today I had the match more under control than him - he was surviving with his serve (rather) than his strokes on the baseline."

    Saturday's triumph also extends a three-year Auckland winning streak for Bautista Agut, who has not lost a Classic match since the second round of 2015.

    He won in 2016 and withdrew ill from the 2017 event.

    Both he and del Potro will now look ahead to the Australian Open.

    "I'll have time enough to be ready, to get there, have some rest and try to practice a little bit, to get the body ready for a grand slam," Bautista Agut said.

    © 2018 NZN, NZCity

     Other Tennis News
     17 Mar: Rafael Nadal in constant pain and relying on painkillers since 2005, uncle reveals
     15 Mar: Daniell out of Indian Wells doubles
     13 Mar: Daniell advances, Venus ousted in doubles
     11 Mar: Venus wins tough opening doubles match
     05 Mar: Sitak beaten in Sao Paulo doubles final
     04 Mar: Sitak secures second ATP doubles final
     02 Mar: Venus loses in Dubai ATP quarter-finals
     Top Stories

    Hegarty relishing Tahs fullback chance More...

    RBNZ expected to hold rate at review More...

     Today's News

    Root hits ton for England in warm-up 19:05

    Wellington take command against CD 19:05

    Surgical mesh reform a failure, advocates 18:55

    Alicia Vikander wants to turn her Academy Award into a toilet brush 18:40

    Australian killed at Cambodian gun range was tourist, not military as local 'cover-up' suggests 18:35

    Entertainment: claims his song 'Yes We Can' won Barack Obama the American presidency in 2008 18:10

    Cyclists protest helmet laws in Wellington 18:05

    Lewis Hamilton is Tommy Hilfiger's new brand ambassador 17:40

    Olton Enterprise newspaper criticised for removing gay husband from mother's obituary 17:35

    Rugby League:
    Woods charged over NRL cannonball tackle 17:25

     News Search

    Power Search

    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd