News | Rugby League
19 Mar 2018 6:26
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Sports > Rugby League

    Wigan down Hull FC in lacklustre display

    Wigan have scored a 24-10 win over Hull FC in their English Super League match at Wollongong's WIN Stadium on Saturday.

    - article from

    Wigan have downed a battered Hull FC 24-10 in a lacklustre advertisement for the English Super League at WIN Stadium.

    The Warriors put the game - the first Super League match to be played outside Europe - to bed when Ben Flower burrowed over in the 70th minute in Wollongong.

    The 12,146 fans on hand were treated to a forgettable spectacle as Wigan were bumbling in attack against a Hull FC side who finished the game with one man on the bench.

    After holding a 12-10 lead at halftime, a try to prop Ryan Sutton six minutes after the resumption gave them breathing room before Flower's late try sealed it.

    It was a forgettable second half with the sin-binning of Sam Tomkins and Josh Griffin after a brief altercation providing the only real highlight.

    Hull FC were struck a big blow in just the second minute when centre Bureta Faraimo was taken off with a concussion and Wigan immediately sought to exploit their reshuffled backline.

    Wigan ran in two tries through Liam Marshall in the opening 12 minutes as their left side ran riot.

    Hull FC stayed in touch via Fetuli Talanoa in the left corner but were hanging on for dear life when hooker Danny Houghton (calf) came off, leaving them with just two men on the bench for the final 50 minutes.

    When Liam Marshall and Morgan Escare made a mess of a James Shaul kick, Jordan Abdull pounced to clean up the scraps to even up the scores.

    While Hull FC were brave, they simply couldn't hold on and when Liam Watts left the field with a hamstring injury midway through the second half, they were in danger of running out of replacements.

    Wigan were at times sloppy with Oliver Gildert blowing a certain try in the first half however they did enough to get home ahead of their showdown against NRL side South Sydney next weekend.


    © 2018 NZN, NZCity

     Other Rugby League News
     18 Mar: Manly romp to biggest NRL win over Eels
     18 Mar: Sam Burgess charged for cannonball tackle
     18 Mar: No fears for Tigers over horror NRL draw
     18 Mar: Titans captain talks up Warriors' Green
     17 Mar: Warriors still undefeated after NRL win
     17 Mar: Hayne needs to find more ball: Arthur
     17 Mar: Warriors beat Titans, stay unbeaten in NRL
     Top Stories

    Resurgent Reds back in Super Rugby mix More...

    Maori collective eye berries to boost jobs More...

     Today's News

    Resurgent Reds back in Super Rugby mix 21:55

    Black Panther too 'politically correct' for China as ticket sales dive in world's second-largest market 21:35

    Rugby League:
    Manly romp to biggest NRL win over Eels 21:15

    Sixers beat United to level NBL finals 1-1 20:15

    McClure scores double ton for Canterbury 19:35

    Living & Travel:
    Young girl hit by train in Ngaruawahia 19:25

    Greens hand National Parliament questions 17:55

    Ocean Race yachts leave Auckland 17:55

    Accident and Emergency:
    Yacht rescue attempts remain unsuccessful 17:25

    Why Japan's smoking laws are stuck 'in the last century' 16:45

     News Search

    Power Search

    © 2018 New Zealand City Ltd