News | Entertainment
30 Nov 2025 18:15
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Ed Sheeran will not play any big stadium shows this year

    The 'Castle on the Hill' hitmaker - who has just made his musical comeback following a year-long hiatus - has decided that he wants to ease himself back into things gently and has only included arenas and smaller venues on his forthcoming tour because he wants to make sure his set is "good" before he scales it out to venues the size of Wembley Stadium.


    Speaking on 'Capital XTRA In The Morning With Jez Welham' on Tuesday (10.01.17), he said: "This time, I didn't want to go straight into stadiums. I wanted to get the tour good first. We're doing smaller shows ... It's mad to say an arena is a small show cause it's not, but it was a conscious decision not to book a load of Wembleys this year."

    Although he's already decided he wants to perform at smaller venues this year, the 25-year-old singer is yet to release any other details regarding the tour but it's believed he will get things going by headlining at Glastonbury at the end of June.

    A source said recently: "It's going to be a huge moment for the festival having him up there marking his comeback in front of a giant crowd. Ed's always said headlining Glastonbury has been a big ambition of his. Topping his three sold-out Wembley Stadium shows last year will be tough, but this is as big as it gets."

    It's also thought the flame-haired hunk has agreed to perform one of his new songs 'Castle on the Hill' or 'Shape of You', which he dropped last week as part of his spotlight comeback, at the BRIT Awards in London on February 22.

    An insider explained earlier this month: "Ed is one of the greatest sing/songwriters of our generation. His performance will be a highlight of the night."

    Ed announced he was planning to take 12 months away from the gritty music industry last year in order to spend time with his family and friends and go travelling.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Nov: Former Fox TV chief Dana Walden had to "teach" fans to embrace Glee
     30 Nov: Matt Smith went to eight Oasis shows over the summer
     30 Nov: Lindsay Arnold is expecting her third child
     30 Nov: Tara Reid has claimed she was drugged at a bar before being rushed to hospital
     30 Nov: Kim Kardashian's legal drama All's Fair has been renewed for a second season
     30 Nov: Ray Romano has confirmed the Everybody Loves Raymond: 30th Anniversary Reunion will not lead to a revival
     30 Nov: Nicole Kidman is staying strong amid her split from Keith Urban
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after being red carded for eye gouging in the record 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Our sheep meat exports hit record value in October More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Former Fox TV chief Dana Walden had to "teach" fans to embrace Glee 18:08

    Soccer:
    Auckland FC are refusing to pin the blame on the wet weather conditions during their 2-1 loss to the Newcastle Jets at Mt Smart 18:07

    Entertainment:
    Matt Smith went to eight Oasis shows over the summer 17:38

    International:
    Em Rusciano on finding balance in life after her ADHD and autism diagnoses 17:37

    Politics:
    Strengthening community-led GP practices is at the centre of Labour's new low-interest loan policy 17:27

    Cricket:
    Black Foils skipper Peter Burling is intrigued to see how the final day of SailGP racing will pan out in Abu Dhabi 17:27

    Golf:
    Golfer Ryan Fox is adjusting to playing in scorching conditions again after completing his first tournament since taking a two-month break 17:27

    Entertainment:
    Lindsay Arnold is expecting her third child 17:08

    Politics:
    Doubts the health system would be able to cope with Labour's election promises 16:57

    Golf:
    Golfer Ryan Fox has admitted there's work to do following his first event since a two-month layoff 16:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd