News | Entertainment
29 Aug 2025 13:18
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William promised to "look after" Catherine, Princess of Wales on his first official engagement since she revealed she had been diagnosed with cancer

    The 41-year-old royal helped out with loading and cooking at food distribution charity Surplus to Supper in Sudbury-on-Thames in Surrey on Thursday (18.04.24) and he appeared visibly moved when a volunteer handed him cards for his wife and his father, King Charles, who is also being treated for the disease


    William told Rachel Candappa: "Thank you, you are very kind".

    The 71-year-old volunteer told the prince to look after his wife and he put his hand on her shoulder as he promised: "I will".

    Speaking afterwards, Rachel admitted she didn't expect to be able to give the cards to William personally.

    She told the Daily Telegraph newspaper: "I was at home at 8.30 last night and I thought I had to do something this is a chance to give a card directly to the palace officials. I didn't think I'd be able to give the cards to William.

    "I said 'can I shake your hand', I loved it, he was very down to earth. I'm never washing my hand again.

    "He pointed at the food and said 'That's spaghetti hoops' and I asked 'How do you know about spaghetti hoops and he said 'I've got children'. "

    William watched as volunteers sorted out items including soaps, hand wash and make-up before pulling on an apron to help chef Mario Colfait, who was making bolognaise, chilli con carne and sausage casserole.

    He said: "It smells good in here Mario."

    The prince - who has three children with Catherine - joked he was worried about slicing off his fingers as he was handed a large knife to chop celery.

    He said: "It's the biggest knife, hope for the best. "I don't want to mess up everyone's lunch. I hope I haven't ruined your lunch, but you can blame me."

    As well as his efforts in the kitchen, William also privately gave the charity a box of unused food taken from the kitchen at his home in Windsor, Adelaide Cottage.

    Catherine announced in a video message on 22 March that she was being treated for cancer after the disease was detected following her abdominal surgery in January.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     29 Aug: Catherine Zeta-Jones believes "we can all relate" to the Addams family's "dynamic"
     29 Aug: Katy Perry and Justin Trudeau "had a wonderful time together in Canada"
     29 Aug: Austin Butler once had a shard of glass stuck in his foot for eight months
     29 Aug: Dennis Rodman stopped Hulk Hogan's casket from wobbling and potentially toppling over at the wrestling legend's funeral
     29 Aug: Travis Kelce cannot stop dancing around the house to fiancee Taylor Swift's unreleased album The Life of a Showgirl
     29 Aug: Chris Columbus has separated "the artist from the art" when it comes to Harry Potter as he doesn't agree with author J.K. Rowling's views on the trans community
     29 Aug: Austin Butler's personal trainer put him through a gruelling workout regime and nutrition plan to take his body to the "next level"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A coup for New Zealand Rugby and the Crusaders with prop Tamaiti Williams re-signing through until the end of 2029 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Canterbury's pushing ahead of Wellington, when it comes to rising insurance premiums More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    An wind-warning's in effect for the Auckland Harbour Bridge 13:07

    Politics:
    Police are making enquiries after a number of schools across New Zealand received threatening emails 12:27

    Law and Order:
    Police say they'll continue to look into Tom Phillips' mindset, following what they think is another sighting of the Marokopa fugitive 12:17

    Tennis:
    A first win at a Grand Slam in more than four years for a 45-year-old tennis veteran 11:57

    Environment:
    State Highway 7 between Springs Junction and Lewis Pass has reopened after snow caused its closure earlier this morning 11:27

    Law and Order:
    A woman has been charged in relation to a house fire in Belfast, north of Christchurch, overnight 11:07

    Tennis:
    Australia's Alexei Popyrin knocked out of US Open by defending champion Jannik Sinner 10:47

    Law and Order:
    Firearms heading for the black market have been targeted by police in an operation centred in Bay of Plenty and Gisborne 10:47

    International:
    How Taylor Swift's engagement collides with her discography of heartbreak 10:37

    Entertainment:
    Catherine Zeta-Jones believes "we can all relate" to the Addams family's "dynamic" 10:28


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd