News | Entertainment
3 Apr 2025 20:41
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Police have asked prosecutors to consider bringing charges against Russell Brand

    The disgraced comic has been interviewed by cops three times since a joint investigation by the Sunday Times, The Times, and 'Dispatches' in September 2023 uncovered multiple allegations of historical emotional and sexual abuse, including rape, against the 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' star, and now a file of evidence has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to see if the claims will be taken further


    The Metropolitan Police confirmed they had had received a number of reports of sexual offences from women following the original investigation.

    They added: "A man in his 40s had been interviewed by officers under caution on three separate occasions.

    "A file of evidence has now been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for their consideration."

    And the CPS confirmed they had been handed a file to consider charges in relation to allegations of historical sex offences.

    Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, whose team is leading the investigation, said: "We have a team of dedicated officers providing specialist support to the women who have come forward."

    "We are committed to investigating sexual offences, no matter how long ago they are alleged to have taken place.

    Russell - who has three children with wife Laura Gallacher and was married to Katy Perry from 2010 to 2012 - previously said it was "very, very painful" to be accused of what he "considers to be the most appalling crimes".

    He insisted the allegations were untrue.

    He told Tucker Carlson on the controversial presenter's X show: " Of course, I deny any allegations of the kind that have been advanced and what I have seen is the significance of family and the importance of beliefs that are transcendent of this.

    "I reject the allegations in the strongest possible terms."

    The original investigation alleged the incidents took place between 2006 and 2013, when the 'Get Him to the Greek' star had a number of high-profile jobs, including on BBC Radio 2 and Channel 4, and he claimed he had been in a "vulnerable" position because of his lifestyle at the time.

    "Attacks like this, accused of what I consider to be the most appalling crimes, is very painful and hurtful. But there are consequences to the foolish way I lived in the past."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     03 Apr: Charlie Sheen's daughter Sami hasn't spoken to him "in five months"
     03 Apr: John Cena has been diagnosed with skin cancer twice
     03 Apr: Kim Delaney will not face charges following her recent arrest on suspicion of felony assault
     03 Apr: Denise Richards was "upset" with her ex-husband Charlie Sheen for publicly disclosing his HIV diagnosis without informing her in advance
     03 Apr: Rosamund Pike was worried about her nipple tape injuring Pierce Brosnan while they filmed a love scene for the 2002 James Bond film 'Die Another Day'
     03 Apr: Noel and Liam Gallagher are said to be set to earn millions more from their Oasis reunion tour this summer thanks to image rights
     03 Apr: Wendy Williams' fans are rallying around her amid her fierce battle over her guardianship
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Beauden Barrett's declaring himself ready to return to Super Rugby this weekend with the Blues More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Confirmation the ripple effects of declining interest rates - still haven't changed consumer habits More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Charlie Sheen's daughter Sami hasn't spoken to him "in five months" 20:18

    Entertainment:
    John Cena has been diagnosed with skin cancer twice 19:48

    Entertainment:
    Kim Delaney will not face charges following her recent arrest on suspicion of felony assault 19:18

    Business:
    Confirmation the ripple effects of declining interest rates - still haven't changed consumer habits 18:57

    Entertainment:
    Denise Richards was "upset" with her ex-husband Charlie Sheen for publicly disclosing his HIV diagnosis without informing her in advance 18:48

    Law and Order:
    Police believe a homicide and aggravated burglary in Wellington's Miramar last month are connected 18:37

    Entertainment:
    Rosamund Pike was worried about her nipple tape injuring Pierce Brosnan while they filmed a love scene for the 2002 James Bond film 'Die Another Day' 18:18

    Politics:
    What we know about Qatargate scandal surrounding Netanyahu government 18:17

    Law and Order:
    The imprisonment of a sexual predator - has prompted Police to urge caution 18:07

    Entertainment:
    Noel and Liam Gallagher are said to be set to earn millions more from their Oasis reunion tour this summer thanks to image rights 17:48


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd