News | Entertainment
1 Sep 2025 2:56
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Five suspects being investigated over Liam Payne's death are due to learn if they will be prosecuted early in the New Year

    They were questioned after the late One Direction singer fell to his death aged 31 on 16 October from the third-floor balcony of his room at the Casa Sur Palermo hotel in Buenos Aires, Argentina


    It's now emerged Judge Laura Bruniard has 10 days after quizzing them to decide whether the suspects should face charges as part of an ongoing criminal investigation - or if the case against them should be closed.

    Two hotel employees last week became the latest of the five men now under investigation in connect with Liam's death, and they are set to be questioned on Zoom interrogations next week.

    Identities of the original three suspects have not been revealed and it is thought by the time the judge makes her decision on whether to charge any of them she will have received expert reports addressing the analysis of mobile phones and computers belonging to the suspects and witnesses.

    Missing CCTV footage that could show the moment Liam hit his head on the concrete base of a sunshade on a restaurant terrace underneath his room may also be recovered and make up part of the investigation, according to reports.

    On 7 November, a report from the National Criminal and Correctional Prosecutor's Office found traces of alcohol, cocaine and prescription antidepressants had been found in Liam's system.

    Officials have ruled out suicide, saying in the "state" the singer was in, he "did not know what he was doing and could not understand it".

    It was recently reported Liam's former One Direction bandmates were planning to get the band back together before his death.

    A source told Us Weekly Liam, Harry Styles, 30, Zayn Malik, 31, Niall Horan, 31, and Louis Tomlinson, 32, had been "in talks to do one last reunion show".

    The insider added even though the idea has now been put on hold a comeback may still be possible - but only in memory of Liam.

    They said: "The guys would love to do a tribute to Liam. They're all so devastated right now they can't even think about that as a legitimate project, but it has been discussed."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Aug: Nick and Vanessa Lachey always try to present a "united" front to their children
     30 Aug: Benedict Cumberbatch refuses to be away from his family for more than two weeks at a time
     30 Aug: Riz Ahmed was hospitalised for "something silent and intense" while filming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
     30 Aug: George Clooney thinks he's been the "recipient of a lot of luck" in his life
     30 Aug: Maren Morris has witnessed fans "healing from [her] healing" following her divorce
     30 Aug: Austin Butler plans to "disappear" after the Caught Stealing press tour
     30 Aug: Sabrina Carpenter's new album is "not for any pearl clutchers"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    State Highway 1 The Desert Road from across the central plateau is closed Rangipo to Waiouru 21:57

    Living & Travel:
    The wild weather's causing major disruptions to ground operations at Auckland Airport 21:17

    Accident and Emergency:
    A person's died at the scene of a single-vehicle crash in Hawkes Bay this afternoon 18:57

    International:
    No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save 18:37

    Rugby:
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park 18:37

    Auckland:
    There are reported injuries after a two car crash in Auckland's Stanmore Bay 18:07

    Motoring:
    NASCAR driver Shane van Gisbergen is relishing the bumper-to-bumper schedule of his new discipline 17:37

    Basketball:
    The Breakers battle the Cairns Taipans tonight in their second NBL Blitz preseason basketball match in Canberra 17:27

    Law and Order:
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head 16:57

    Law and Order:
    The wife of a gunman who allegedly killed two police officers in rural Victoria last week, has urged her husband to surrender 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd