News | Dunedin
30 Nov 2025 1:39
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > National > Dunedin

    Judge criticises police and awards man $130,000 after he was cleared of sex charges

    A judge has criticised police and awarded a Dunedin man 130 thousand dollars after he was cleared of sex charges relating to three young girls.


    The defendant has name suppression.

    The Otago Daily Times reports the man says he suffered four years of hell before a jury found him not guilty on eight charges, following a trial in April last year.

    Judge Kevin Phillips says the case relating to one of the young complainants was fairly investigated - but he is scathing of the police inquiry into the allegations regarding the other two.

    The man's lawyer, Jonathan Eaton QC, told the court his client spent almost 400 thousand dollars defending the charges.

    While the Crown will cover some of the cost, the defendant says he's still more than 140 thousand dollars out of pocket.

    © 2025 Newstalk ZB, NZCity

     Other Dunedin News
     29 Nov: Police say there are serious injuries following a crash in Dunedin's Bucklands Crossing
     28 Nov: In domestic cricket's Plunket Shield, the Auckland Aces are in the box seat after three days' play at Mount Maunganui
     20 Nov: A man's been charged with using explosives to start a fire at an abandoned Dunedin house early on Tuesday
     18 Nov: Police have released a picture of a man in North Dunedin, they're hoping can help with a homicide investigation
     12 Nov: International hockey is inbound for Dunedin this summer
     12 Nov: A 15-year-old who stabbed a Dunedin schoolboy to death continues to argue he should avoid a conviction for the crime
     11 Nov: A man dobbed himself in - after allegedly starting a fire at Dunedin's Central Police Station
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Jorja Miller feels at home as a leader in the Black Ferns Sevens More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    South-East Asia flood deaths rise as Cyclone Ditwah hits Sri Lanka, heads towards southern India 22:26

    Living & Travel:
    About 90 Jetstar flights cancelled due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes 22:16

    Dunedin:
    Police say there are serious injuries following a crash in Dunedin's Bucklands Crossing 21:56

    Entertainment:
    Machine Gun Kelly has compared his intimate skills to those of a Formula 1 driver 21:38

    Living & Travel:
    Police fear a kayaker may be missing off the Kapiti Coast after an unattended kayak and personal belongings were discovered 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Arnold Schwarzenegger has detailed how a visit to mark Veterans Day inspired him to organise a private film screening for former service members 21:08

    Entertainment:
    Tori Spelling and her ex-husband have been hit with a bill for more than $1.3 million in unpaid federal and state taxes 20:38

    Entertainment:
    Rupert Grint has written to Alastair Stout, who will play Ron Weasley in the new Harry Potter TV series 20:08

    Entertainment:
    Aaron Paul moved to France in the wake of the Los Angeles wildfires 19:38

    Rugby:
    Jorja Miller feels at home as a leader in the Black Ferns Sevens 19:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd