News | Politics
31 Aug 2025 19:55
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Politics

    Australia spends $500m on Papua New Guinea's Lombrum naval base expansion

    Australian taxpayers have spent around half a billion dollars to fund the expansion of Papua New Guinea's Lombrum naval base — well over double the $175 million price tag originally flagged by the federal government.


    Australian taxpayers have spent around half a billion dollars to fund the expansion of Papua New Guinea's Lombrum naval base — well over double the $175 million price tag originally flagged by the federal government.

    The Defence Minister Richard Marles revealed the cost blowout after joining PNG Prime Minister James Marape at a rain-soaked ceremony on Manus Island to celebrate the return of the strategically critical asset.

    The high-profile project has been hit with delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic and disputes with local landowners, and Mr Marles told the ABC that an elongated timeline explained the inflated cost.

    "There have been a number of factors which have led to the cost, and part of that is the time that has been taken to deliver the project," he said.

    "But ultimately we're really pleased with what has been delivered — at $500 million this is the biggest infrastructure project that Australia has ever undertaken in the Pacific."

    The original estimated cost of $175 million was reported in June 2021. However, tender documents published later show the initial contract was valued at $228 million.

    Mr Marles also insisted the massive investment would also pay strategic dividends for both Papua New Guinea and Australia, saying the new port was a "great asset" and a "tangible expression" of the growing defence ties between the two nations.

    "This place at the end of the second World War was one of the largest US naval bases outside of the United States," he said.

    "It was always understood then that what this represented was a gateway to the Western Pacific — and we've always understood this … as being a really strategically significant place for Australia and obviously Papua New Guinea."

    A 'sovereign asset for Papua New Guinea'

    Tuesday's handover comes just weeks before Australia and PNG are due to sign a landmark new defence treaty on the 50th anniversary of PNG's independence on September 15.

    While neither government has yet laid out exactly what's in the agreement, both PNG and Australia have flagged it will be used to give defence forces' in both countries easier access to the others' military facilities.

    Mr Marles told the ABC that the newly expanded Lombrum base was a "sovereign asset for Papua New Guinea" — but stressed that Australia's navy would be able to operate out of it under the pact.

    "We want to be able to be able to operate out of each other's facilities, that's what the defence cooperation agreement will provide," he said.

    "What we're building here is a base that's a great asset for PNG but also an asset that can also ultimately be used by Australia.

    "You look at what we're about to sign [with PNG] and then you look at this base, you put it together, and this is a really big strategic step for our nation."

    All up, the project created more than 700 jobs in PNG, including more than 350 jobs in Manus.

    Lombrum base a 'strategic investment'

    The Lombrum Naval Base redevelopment was first announced in 2018. It includes an extension of the WWII-era wharf, as well as substantial improvements to the road and power network, along with new accommodation blocks.

    PNG has previously said the expansion would allow it to double the number of military personnel at the Lombrum base, reaching roughly 400 in total.

    The United States has also ploughed money into the redevelopment, although at a smaller scale — delivering $25 million to fund a new facility for PNG Defence Force small boats and a new training facility.

    The US is also expected to gain access to the Lombrum naval base, along with multiple other PNG defence facilities, under the defence pact it signed with Port Moresby in 2023.

    The federal government has long talked up the strategic benefits offered by Lombrum, suggesting it will allow the Australian navy to project power more effectively into the region.

    Although the extended wharf at Lombrum is still not large enough to accommodate larger Australian naval vessels, Mr Marles told the ABC those ships could sit easily out in the deep water harbour, where they could be reached by launch vessels.

    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Politics News
     31 Aug: 'Boot camps' and early intervention part of NT government's plan to prevent youth crime
     31 Aug: Three dead after angry mob sets fire to parliament building in Indonesia
     30 Aug: A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions
     30 Aug: One New Zealand is bringing mobile services and technology to the frontline of conservation
     30 Aug: Infrastructure New Zealand says National and Labour should come together to back longer parliamentary and council terms
     30 Aug: Hopes the Reserve Bank Chair's decision to step down will put an end to the debacle surrounding the former Governor's resignation
     30 Aug: Hobson's Pledge is defending its decision to use Rotorua's Mayor in its campaign against Maori wards, without her permission
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Accident and Emergency:
    A person's died at the scene of a single-vehicle crash in Hawkes Bay this afternoon 18:57

    International:
    No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save 18:37

    Rugby:
    Halfback Faf de Klerk will join the Springboks in Auckland ahead of Saturday's Rugby Championship contest against the All Blacks at Eden Park 18:37

    Auckland:
    There are reported injuries after a two car crash in Auckland's Stanmore Bay 18:07

    Motoring:
    NASCAR driver Shane van Gisbergen is relishing the bumper-to-bumper schedule of his new discipline 17:37

    Basketball:
    The Breakers battle the Cairns Taipans tonight in their second NBL Blitz preseason basketball match in Canberra 17:27

    Law and Order:
    A former Welsh rugby international is scoffing at the smart mouth guards used to detect a knock to the head 16:57

    Law and Order:
    The wife of a gunman who allegedly killed two police officers in rural Victoria last week, has urged her husband to surrender 16:17

    Rugby:
    Damning claims from a former Welsh rugby international about New Zealand Rugby Players Association boss Rob Nichol 16:07

    Rugby:
    22-year-old hooker Jack Taylor is hoping to replicate Southland rugby greats of years gone by when they tackle Waikato in their Ranfurly Shield NPC contest in Hamilton this afternoon 15:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd