News | Law and Order
3 Apr 2025 15:21
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Law and Order

    Ex-Australian rugby captain Rocky Elsom handed two-year jail term in France for misusing corporate assets

    French authorities had issued an arrest warrant for Rocky Elsom, who faces two years in prison for his conduct while president of a French rugby club.


    Former Australia rugby captain Rocky Elsom has been handed a two-year jail sentence in France after misusing corporate funds during his time as club president of Narbonne.

    French authorities have been forced to issue a warrant for his arrest after the 42-year-old did not show up in court on Friday, local time.

    He was also fined 100,000 euros ($172, 200) with half the sum suspended. 

    Elsom was president of southern French club Narbonne from 2015-16.

    He went on trial for embezzling club funds by making unjustified expenditures to pay a coach or a general manager who was living in Australia at the time.

    He was acquitted on charges of forgery and use of forgery but was ordered to pay 230,000 euros in compensation to the club's liquidator.

    His lawyer Yann Le Bras appealed.

    During a trial last month, the prosecutor requested a three-year prison sentence and a fine of 630,000 euros.

    Elsom's lawyer had pleaded for an acquittal.

    In a previous trial in October last year, Elsom was sentenced to five years in prison but did not attend the hearing.

    He has been the subject of an international arrest warrant since that conviction.

    As allowed by French law, Elsom requested to be retried with legal representation, but he did not appear in court last month.

    French authorities said that his whereabouts were unknown before issuing the warrant. 

    Elsom denies knowledge of trial

    Elsom played 75 times for Australia from 2005-11.

    He was named man of the match when he won the 2009 European Cup with Dublin-based Irish club Leinster alongside Ireland greats Johnny Sexton and Brian O'Driscoll.

    He had been living in Ireland since August 2024 and fled the country after an international arrest warrant was issued against him.

    He denied any wrongdoing and said that under his leadership Narbonne was in a healthy position.

    "(Narbonne) achieved solid profits, had good sporting results, and remained in Pro D2 (the second tier of French rugby) until 2016 and beyond," he said in a statement in October last year.

    "It seems that I have been targeted as a scapegoat for the future mismanagement of this famous rugby club."

    Narbonne won the French Championship twice in 1936 and 1979 and finished runner-up three times. The club went into liquidation in 2018 and now competes in the third-tier Fédérale league.

    Elsom had been working as a coach at a school in Dublin around the time of his arrest warrant.

    He said in an interview four months ago on YouTube that he left immediately with only a single backpack when he found out that Ireland was legally obliged to extradite him to France.

    When he gave the interview to Mark Bouris from a hidden location, he said he had not been informed there was a public trial in October.

    "This is a really important part of it. I didn't know a court case was on and there was no possible way for me to know," he said.

    AP/ABC

    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Law and Order News
     03 Apr: A finding two Auckland police officers unjustly arrested two people in 2022 - and used excessive force
     03 Apr: Val Kilmer’s macho action figures held a melancholy just below the surface
     03 Apr: The family of a man who took his life while under a Hamilton mental health facility's care - is gutted by Health New Zealand's latest findings
     03 Apr: Police are still seeking information from the public after two people were found dead in a suspected murder-suicide in Wellington's Roseneath
     02 Apr: A person's in custody after a reported firearms sighting on Hamilton's Silverdale Road just before 3pm, with nearby schools going into lockdown
     02 Apr: Revelations Hamilton ED staff said an unidentified patient looked like a child - before the 11-year-old was treated as an adult mental health patient
     02 Apr: Hamilton's Hillcrest High School is still in lockdown, nearly two hours after the last bell
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Former Wallaby Israel Folau's hopes of playing for an Anzac side against the Lions in July have been scuppered More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    New Zealanders have starting to have slightly more cash to spend, save or invest More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    New Tactix captain Erikana Pedersen admits she won't be veering too far from the leadership style of her predecessor during the new ANZ Premiership netball season 14:57

    Entertainment:
    American President Donald Trump approves of his ex-daughter-in-law Vanessa Trump's romance with Tiger Woods 14:48

    Entertainment:
    Kelsea Ballerini felt like she could not celebrate her work until now due to previous mental health struggles 14:18

    National:
    New modelling reveals full impact of Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ tariffs – with the US hit hardest 14:17

    Health & Safety:
    Health New Zealand is patting itself on the back over improving three of five health targets - since the last quarter 14:07

    Entertainment:
    Usain Bolt's father has died 13:48

    Accident and Emergency:
    A fatal boat capsize off Kaikoura was 'almost certainly' after striking a whale - but a report's found other contributing factors 13:47

    Business:
    New Zealanders have starting to have slightly more cash to spend, save or invest 13:27

    Entertainment:
    Suggs has given up booze because alcoholism was "ruining" his life 13:18

    Entertainment:
    Babe at 30: why this much-loved film is one of the best cinematic translations of a children’s book 13:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd