News | Entertainment
29 Nov 2025 20:43
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Quibi will officially shut down on December 1

    The streaming service only began operating six months ago in April this year, but announced this week it will be shutting down for good after failing to take off


    And now, a new statement from the company has confirmed the service will “end streaming on or about December 1, 2020”.

    The statement read: “Quibi has made the difficult decision to wind down. We anticipate that the service will end streaming on or about December 1, 2020. We appreciate the support we have received from our customers and want to thank you for giving us an opportunity to entertain you.

    “At this time we do not know if the Quibi content will be available anywhere after our last day of service. We recommend following #Quibi on Twitter for any news regarding content.”

    Quibi launched earlier this year will the premise of delivering original short-form programming via smartphones.

    The service had been successful in attracting celebrities to create shows for the platform - including Anna Kendrick’s ‘Dummy’, Chrissy Teigen’s ‘Chrissy’s Court’, and ‘Survive’, which starred Sophie Turner - but failed to get the viewer base needed to keep the service running.

    Speaking about the decision to shut down Quibi, co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg said this week: “There was no question that keeping us going was not going to have a different outcome, it was just going to spend a whole lot more money without any value to show for it. So, out of respect for these people that put up this extraordinary amount of capital to do it, that’s irresponsible and we both felt we shouldn’t do it.”

    Whilst fellow co-founder Meg Whitman added: “We tried a lot of different things over the summer, whether it was payment-less free trial, 90-day free trial, 14-day free trial. We changed marketing around entirely to be more title marketing than platform marketing, which we made a lot of changes and we also you know, tried a completely different business model in Australia. And ultimately none of it really changed the fundamental answer, that we needed more capital and we needed more capital relatively soon.

    “Ultimately probably a couple weeks ago we said, you know, the right thing to do, the hard right but the right thing to do is to return cash to shareholders.”

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     29 Nov: Tori Spelling and her ex-husband have been hit with a bill for more than $1.3 million in unpaid federal and state taxes
     29 Nov: Rupert Grint has written to Alastair Stout, who will play Ron Weasley in the new Harry Potter TV series
     29 Nov: Aaron Paul moved to France in the wake of the Los Angeles wildfires
     29 Nov: A man who rushed Ariana Grande at the Wicked: For Good premiere in Singapore has been deported
     29 Nov: Lizzo is worried weight-loss drugs have led to plus-sized women being "erased"
     29 Nov: Kevin Spacey has moved to counter mounting speculation about his living situation, insisting he is not homeless after remarks about "living in Airbnbs and hotels" triggered widespread concern
     29 Nov: Ricky Gervais has been warned his plan to rebuild his riverside home is at risk of exposing him and others to dangerous flooding
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Jorja Miller feels at home as a leader in the Black Ferns Sevens More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Tori Spelling and her ex-husband have been hit with a bill for more than $1.3 million in unpaid federal and state taxes 20:38

    Entertainment:
    Rupert Grint has written to Alastair Stout, who will play Ron Weasley in the new Harry Potter TV series 20:08

    Entertainment:
    Aaron Paul moved to France in the wake of the Los Angeles wildfires 19:38

    Rugby:
    Jorja Miller feels at home as a leader in the Black Ferns Sevens 19:37

    Entertainment:
    A man who rushed Ariana Grande at the Wicked: For Good premiere in Singapore has been deported 19:08

    Cricket:
    The Black Foils are refusing to put their focus on their championship rivals in tonight's opening day of the SailGP season finale in Abu Dhabi 19:07

    Cricket:
    Central Districts have cruised to an eight wicket victory over Wellington in their Plunket Shield match in the Capital 18:57

    Entertainment:
    Lizzo is worried weight-loss drugs have led to plus-sized women being "erased" 18:38

    Wellington:
    One person is seriously injured following a two vehicle crash involving a motorbike on Wellington's Akatarawa Road 18:37

    Entertainment:
    Kevin Spacey has moved to counter mounting speculation about his living situation, insisting he is not homeless after remarks about "living in Airbnbs and hotels" triggered widespread concern 18:08


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd