News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 11:59
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Harry could reportedly face a bill of more than £1 million over his security funding court fight

    The Duke of Sussex, 39, has been fighting the 2020 decision to downgrade his taxpayer funded, round-the-clock protection when he quit senior royal duties with his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, 42, to move to America


    But it emerged on Monday (15.04.24) the dad-of-two - who has children Archie, four, and two-year-old Lilibet with Meghan - he had lost his initial bid to appeal against the move.

    He is still able to ask the Court of Appeal directly for the green light to challenge Sir Peter's decision - but has been told to pay the majority of the UK Home Office's legal costs of defending his challenge over the decision to change the level of his security when he visits the UK.

    A Freedom of Information request has revealed that by October 2023, the government's legal costs to defend itself against Harry in the case had reached the £400,000-plus mark.

    By that point, the case had already cost the government legal department £265,437 and counsel £137,864.

    The Daily Star has reported it means Harry now faces having to pay back the taxpayer at least £500,000 after losing his challenge.

    It said his own legal costs are likely to be similar, if not more, than that sum, meaning he could end up with a bill of more than £1 million so far in his court fight.

    Harry launched legal action against the Home Office over the February 2020 decision of the ex ecutive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) that he should receive a different degree of taxpayer-funded protection when in the country.

    Ravec's decision came as a result of a change in his status after he stopped being a "full-time working member of the royal family", a judge was told.

    In a judgment in February, retired High Court justice Sir Peter Lane rejected Harry's case and concluded Ravec's approach was not irrational or procedurally unfair.

    Following the ruling, a spokesperson for the duke said he was going to challenge the judgment, adding the bloke "hopes he will obtain justice from the Court of Appeal".

    Harry argued he was "singled out" and treated "less favourably" than others by Ravec.

    He has previously asked to fund his own Metropolitan Police armed bodyguards but officials refused.

    Harry has also said he was unable to return to the UK with his family as it was "too dangerous" after his security was downgraded.

    He is allowed protection when he stays at royal residences or attends official events run by the Royal Family, but has to fund his security if visiting Britain for other reasons.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fonterra is raising its forecast payout to farmers, following the latest rise in global dairy prices More...



     Today's News

    Athletics:
    Pole vaulter Imogen Ayris' continues to leap the highest in her career, this time at an indoor athletics meet in France 11:57

    Law and Order:
    What we know about ex-prince Andrew's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office 11:57

    Golf:
    Golfer Ryan Fox is two-under par through seven holes in the opening round at the latest PGA Tour event 11:47

    Politics:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released under investigation after almost 10 hours in custody 11:27

    National:
    Why has Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor been arrested, and what legal protections do the royal family have? 11:17

    Skiing:
    Ally Hickman showed her grit at 2026 Winter Olympics after heavy fall on second run 11:07

    Business:
    Fonterra is raising its forecast payout to farmers, following the latest rise in global dairy prices 10:47

    Business:
    Fonterra's announced an extra dividend for farmers - as it pushes ahead with the sale of its consumer arm 10:27

    National:
    Why Michelangelo’s ‘Last Judgment’ endures 10:07

    International:
    Donald Trump suggests a decision on Iran is likely within 10 days 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd