News | Entertainment
5 Apr 2025 14:22
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

    British police charge actor and comedian Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.


    British police have charged Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.

    In a statement released Friday, local time, London's Metropolitan Police listed five charges, dating from 1999 to 2005, related to four women.

    It said Mr Brand had been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.

    "The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," the statement said.

    The comedian denied charges of rape and indecent assault, saying he had been an addict in the past "but what I never was was a rapist".

    In a video posted on X, Brand said: "I was a fool … I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity."

    In 2023, the Sunday Times newspaper and UK network Channel 4's documentary show "Dispatches" reported that four women had accused Brand of sexual assaults, including a rape, between 2006 and 2013.

    After the allegations were published, police opened an investigation.

    According to the Met's statement on Friday, it's alleged Mr Brand:

    • Raped a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999
    • Indecently assaulted a woman in London in 2001
    • Orally raped and sexually assaulted a woman in London in 2004
    • Sexually assaulted a woman in London between 2004 and 2005

    Mr Brand, 50, is the former husband of US pop star Katy Perry and was one of Britain's most high-profile comedians and broadcasters.

    The Get Him To The Greek actor has previously denied the allegations, saying his relationships were "always consensual".

    In the 2000s, he was a regular on global screens, known for his flamboyant style and appearance.

    By the early 2020s he had faded from mainstream culture, appearing primarily on his internet channel where he airs his views on US politics, free speech and promotes conspiracy theories.

    Last year, he was also spotted at the Republican National Convention in the United States, and posed in snaps with some of the party's prominent figures.

    Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said the women who made reports against Mr Brand continued to receive support. 

    "[We] ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," he said.

    Mr Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a first hearing on May 2.

    Reuters/AFP


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Entertainment News
     05 Apr: Tom Cruise has paid tribute to his friend and 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer
     05 Apr: Leigh-Anne Pinnock is devastated after losing both of her dogs within weeks of each other
     05 Apr: Antoine Fuqua's upcoming biopic on Michael Jackson may be split into two films
     05 Apr: Eva Mendes has paid tribute to her late brother on what would have been his 62nd birthday
     05 Apr: Jennifer Aniston has celebrated Pedro Pascal's 50th birthday with a special tribute on social media
     05 Apr: Olivia Munn has revealed the elaborate lie she told after learning John Mulaney was planning to propose to her
     05 Apr: Kanye West has suggested his wife has left him in the lyrics to a new song
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Moana Pasifika skipper Ardie Savea has pointed to the main area of growth from his side this season as they look for back-to-back Super Rugby Pacific wins for the first time in franchise history More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Food Safety Minister Andrew Hoggard, is confident he's disclosed all relevant conflicts of interest with Cabinet More...



     Today's News

    National:
    Consumers are boycotting US goods around the world. Should Trump be worried? 14:17

    Environment:
    6.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea coast, tsunami warning cancelled 14:16

    National:
    No, that’s not what a trade deficit means – and that’s not how you calculate other nations’ tariffs 14:07

    Golf:
    Dame Lydia Ko's been knocked out of the LPGA Tour's matchplay event in Las Vegas 14:06

    Health & Safety:
    The Director of Mental Health is launching his own probe, into how an 11-year-old was mistaken for a missing adult inpatient 13:46

    Rugby:
    Moana Pasifika skipper Ardie Savea has pointed to the main area of growth from his side this season as they look for back-to-back Super Rugby Pacific wins for the first time in franchise history 13:26

    Politics:
    It's been suggested up front checks could be the solution to building consent delays 13:26

    Law and Order:
    US judge orders Trump administration to retrieve father deported to El Salvador prison 'in error' 13:06

    Cricket:
    Pakistan have won the toss for a third straight time and have sent New Zealand in to bat, in the third one-day international cricket match against New Zealand at Mount Maunganui 13:06

    Law and Order:
    A homicide investigation has been launched after a man was found with injuries consistent with stab wounds in Auckland overnight 12:26


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd