News | Entertainment
31 Aug 2025 1:43
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    George Clooney is said to have been forced to scale back his commitments at the Venice Film Festival after falling ill on the opening day

    The Oscar-winning actor, 64, who is starring in Noah Baumbach's competition film Jay Kelly, ended his Wednesday (27.08.25) press junket early and did not attend a private dinner with cast, crew and Netflix ex ecutives, it has now emerged,


    Insiders told The Hollywood Reporter George began to feel unwell in the afternoon and was advised to return to his accommodation to rest ahead of Thursday's press conference and world premiere.

    The actor was photographed leaving the Hotel Excelsior by boat at around 4pm.

    His absence meant he missed a dinner with director Noah Baumbach, 55, and co-stars Adam Sandler, 58, and Laura Dern, also 58.

    The nature of his illness has not been disclosed, but sources have stressed it was "nothing to worry about".

    Hours earlier, George had been seen arriving at the Lido with Laura, dressed in a navy suit, striped shirt and tinted sunglasses.

    George's health scare comes after he recently discussed his future plans in acting.

    In March, he told CBS News programme 60 Minutes he would no longer appear in romantic comedies.

    He said: "Look, I'm 63 years old. I'm not trying to compete with 25-year-old leading men. That's not my job. I'm not doing romantic films anymore."

    He was speaking ahead of his Broadway debut in Good Night, And Good Luck, an adaptation of his 2005 Oscar-nominated film of the same name.

    George plays journalist Edward R Murrow in the stage production, which recounts Murrow's televised confrontation with Senator Joseph McCarthy during the "Second Red Scare" of the 1950s.

    He said: "It's exciting to be (on Broadway.) Let's not kid ourselves. It's nerve-wracking. And there's a million reasons why it's dumb to do.

    "It's dumb to do because you're coming out and saying, 'Well, let's try to get an audience to take this ride with you back to 1954'."

    Reflecting on the relationship between government and the press, George said: "We're seeing this idea of using government to scare or fine, or use corporations to make journalists smaller.

    "Governments don't like the freedom of the press, they never have. And that goes for whether you are a conservative or a liberal or whatever side you're on. They don't like the press."

    The lifelong Democrat also spoke about his decision to call on Joe Biden, 82, to step aside from the last U.S. presidential race after his debate with Donald Trump, 79.

    George said: "I was raised to tell the truth. I had seen the president up close for this fundraiser, and I was surprised. And so, I feel as if there was a lot of... cowardice in my party, through all of that, and I was not proud of that, and I also believed I had to tell the truth."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Aug: Nick and Vanessa Lachey always try to present a "united" front to their children
     30 Aug: Benedict Cumberbatch refuses to be away from his family for more than two weeks at a time
     30 Aug: Riz Ahmed was hospitalised for "something silent and intense" while filming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
     30 Aug: George Clooney thinks he's been the "recipient of a lot of luck" in his life
     30 Aug: Maren Morris has witnessed fans "healing from [her] healing" following her divorce
     30 Aug: Austin Butler plans to "disappear" after the Caught Stealing press tour
     30 Aug: Sabrina Carpenter's new album is "not for any pearl clutchers"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Canterbury are showing no signs of relinquishing their dominance of the 20-25 men's NPC More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    A Powerball player from Opotiki has won $12.5 million in tonight's Lotto draw 21:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    Three people are seriously injured after a car crashed in the small Waikato town of Karamu, about 7:30 this evening 21:17

    Business:
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions 18:57

    Rugby:
    Canterbury are showing no signs of relinquishing their dominance of the 20-25 men's NPC 18:37

    Business:
    A range of salad products, sold at supermarkets, have been recalled for potentially containing metal filings 18:07

    Tennis:
    To the US tennis Open, where Brit Cameron Norrie's lost his seventh match from seven outings against Novak Djokovic 17:37

    Rugby:
    The Canterbury men's rugby team have maintained their unbeaten run in the NPC 17:27

    International:
    One of the most popular apps in the US is 'fuelling a gender divide', experts warn 17:07

    Rugby:
    South Africa may not have been at their best so far in an up-and-down Rugby Championship but a former Springbok is tipping his old side to get up big-time for the All Blacks 16:57

    Motoring:
    High winds are expected on Auckland's Harbour Bridge through to nine this evening 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd