News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 8:30
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    A man detained for questioning over Nancy Guthrie's disappearance has been released by authorities

    Today show presenter Savanna Guthrie's 84-year-old mother has been missing since January 31 with the Pima County Sheriff's Department and the FBI joining forces to try and find her.


    On Tuesday (10.02.26), authorities detained an individual south of Tucson and brought them in for questioning, but not charged.

    Now, CNN affiliate KNXV has reported that the man has now been released, while investigators have finished searching a property in Rio Rico.

    Reporter Lillian Donahue says her colleagues spoke to a man who said he was detained for questioning as part of the search for Nancy.

    The journalist said he told them "he didn't even know who this woman (Nancy Guthrie) was, that he works as a delivery driver".

    In a video interview with KNXV, the man explained that his wife pulled over after noticing they were being followed by police.

    He added: "They told me I was being detained for kidnapping. I asked them, 'kidnapping of who?'

    "I told them ... I might have delivered a package to their house but I never kidnapped anybody."

    In a statement, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos confirmed that the department had someone in for questioning.

    He said: "Earlier today, Pima County Sheriff's Department deputies detained a subject during a traffic stop south of Tucson.

    "The subject is currently being questioned in connection to the Nancy Guthrie investigation.

    "Additional information will be released as it becomes available."

    The update came hours after the Pima County Sheriff's office released images and a video of a person with a hat over their face wearing gloves, with the figure appearing to have tampered with a camera at the victim's front door.

    Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos wrote on X: "Working with our partners - as of this morning, law enforcement has uncovered these previously inaccessible new images showing an armed individual appearing to have tampered with the camera at Nancy Guthrie's front door the morning of her disappearance."

    FBI Director Kash Patel has also posted images and two videos of the individual on his X account.

    FBI Phoenix Public Affairs Officer Brooke Brennan said in a statement: "Over the last eight days, the FBI and Pima County Sheriff's Department have been working closely with our private sector partners to continue to recover any images or video footage from Nancy Guthrie's home that may have been lost, corrupted, or inaccessible due to a variety of factors, including the removal of recording devices.

    "The video was recovered from residual data located in backend system."

    The FBI is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to her being found, "and/or the arrested and conviction of anyone involved in her disappearance".

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Gary Numan's wife has been left paralysed following an operation
     17 Feb: Robert Duvall, star of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, dies at 95
     17 Feb: Jesy Nelson says her former Little Mix bandmates have "all reached out" since she gave birth
     17 Feb: John Cleese says criticism of Islam is "not racist, it's culturalist"
     17 Feb: Margaret Qualley has described Jack Antonoff as her "person" in a rare comment about their marriage
     17 Feb: Stephen 'tWitch' Boss's widow Allison Holker has got engaged
     16 Feb: Steven Spielberg has donated $25,000 to help James Van Der Beek's family
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Dunedin man who sent a secretly-recorded sex tape to dozens of rugby mates, has failed to have his conviction quashed More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Retail confidence is at a two-year high - but full recovery is still to come More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Gary Numan's wife has been left paralysed following an operation 8:27

    Entertainment:
    Robert Duvall, star of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, dies at 95 8:17

    National:
    Play reduces stress and lifts wellbeing – and adults benefit as much as children do 8:07

    Environment:
    The next bout of heavy rain has started its rampage on the east of the South Island 8:07

    Entertainment:
    Jesy Nelson says her former Little Mix bandmates have "all reached out" since she gave birth 7:57

    Health & Safety:
    Fears that alcohol ads are influencing how children think about alcohol 7:57

    Business:
    Retail confidence is at a two-year high - but full recovery is still to come 7:57

    International:
    How to decide what type of car insurance is best for you 7:37

    Law and Order:
    A Dunedin man who sent a secretly-recorded sex tape to dozens of rugby mates, has failed to have his conviction quashed 7:37

    Entertainment:
    John Cleese says criticism of Islam is "not racist, it's culturalist" 7:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd