News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 11:26
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Liam Payne's "very dear friend" has insisted he didn't abandon the late star in the hours leading up to his death

    The One Direction singer passed away last month after falling from his hotel balcony and now Rogelio Nores, who is known as Roger, has told how he saw him less than an hour before his fatal fall as he dismissed claims police had raided his Buenos Aires home in connection to the tragedy


    Roger told MailOnline: "I never abandoned Liam, I went to his hotel three times that day and left 40 minutes before this happened.

    "There were over 15 people at the hotel lobby chatting and joking with him when I left.

    "I could have never imagined something like this would happen.

    "I've given my statement to the prosecutor on October 17 as a witness and I haven't spoken to any police officer or prosecutor ever since.

    "I wasn't Liam's manager he was just my very dear friend and please refer to the email I sent to Liam and his team on August 23.

    "I'm really heart-broken with this tragedy, and I've been missing my friend every day."

    Roger's statement came after police placed three people, a "friend" of the 'Strip That Down' hitmaker and two hotel employees, under official suspicion over Liam's death.

    They have been arrested in relation to "abandonment of a person followed by death, supply and facilitation of narcotics", a statement from the office of prosecutor Andres Esteban Madrea confirmed.

    It added: "Liam Payne was not fully conscious or was experiencing a state of noticeable decrease or loss of consciousness at the time of the fall."

    The statement also said one of the accused "accompanied the artist on a daily basis" while he was staying in Argentina.

    A hotel employee is also accused of supplying Liam with cocaine twice while he stayed at the hotel, the statement said.

    And third person is accused of supplying drugs to the singer twice during his stay on October 14.

    The prosecutor's office added it had heard a string of testimonies and analysed hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in connection with the investigation.

    And they said a "forensic extraction" had been carried out on Liam's mobile phone, which involved trawls of his calls, messages and social media accounts.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     18 Feb: Apple Martin has admitted to having gotten lip filler
     18 Feb: Rosie O'Donnell is shocked by how "very different" the US feels since she left
     18 Feb: Authorities have warned it could take "years" to find Nancy Guthrie
     18 Feb: Lindsey Vonn is ready to return to the US following a fourth operation
     18 Feb: James Van Der Beek's friends helped him secure a down payment for his home before his death
     18 Feb: Prince William was left in "a state of disbelief" after Catherine, Princess of Wales was diagnosed with cancer
     18 Feb: Harry Styles "felt very alone" the first few times he performed on stage without One Direction
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    England coach Steve Borthwick's responded to their Six Nations rugby defeat to Scotland by making three changes to his run-on side for Sunday's match with Ireland at Dublin More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A sharp rise in food inflation could unfortunately be out of our control More...



     Today's News

    National:
    Make Japan strong again: Sanae Takaichi’s plan to transform her country’s military 11:17

    Hockey:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Jürgen Klopp makes Milano Cortina Games cameo, ice hockey fight ban labelled a 'joke' — quick hits from day 11 11:17

    Soccer:
    Second half drama in the Champions League football clash between Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon 11:07

    Entertainment:
    Apple Martin has admitted to having gotten lip filler 10:57

    Environment:
    Dozens of Canterbury kids spent a night hunkering down in Banks Peninsula - which was cut off by yesterday's torrential rain 10:47

    Law and Order:
    A man's been arrested - after allegedly attempting to break through the cordon at the Mount Maunganui landslide 10:47

    Entertainment:
    Rosie O'Donnell is shocked by how "very different" the US feels since she left 10:27

    International:
    Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission 10:27

    Law and Order:
    Canterbury Police are investigating after a man reportedly exposed himself indecently in Rolleston - and may have done so more than once 10:27

    Politics:
    NZ is slowly slipping on the global corruption index. Is is time for an anti-corruption agency? 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd