News | International
1 Sep 2025 11:20
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    United Nations-backed investigators allege systemic torture in Myanmar detention facilities by security forces

    The Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar said victims were subject to beatings, electric shocks, sexual violence, strangulation and other forms of torture.


    United Nations investigators say they have found evidence of systematic torture by Myanmar security forces and identified some of the most senior perpetrators.

    Warning: This story contains details of sexual offences which may distress some audience members.

    The Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM), formed in 2018 to analyse evidence of serious violations of international law, said victims were subject to beatings, electric shocks, gang rape, strangulation and other forms of torture such as the removal of fingernails with pliers.

    "We have uncovered significant evidence, including eyewitness testimony, showing systematic torture in Myanmar detention facilities," Nicholas Koumjian, head of the IIMM, said in a statement accompanying the 16-page report.

    The torture sometimes resulted in death, the report said.

    Children aged 2 to 17, who are often unlawfully detained as proxies for their missing parents, were among those tortured, it said.

    A spokesperson for Myanmar's military-backed government did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Reuters.

    The government has not responded to over two dozen requests by the UN team for information about the alleged crimes and requests to access the country, the UN report said.

    The military has said it has a duty to ensure peace and security. It has denied atrocities have taken place and has blamed "terrorists" for causing unrest.

    The findings in the report, covering a one-year period through to June 30, were based on information from more than 1,300 sources, including hundreds of eyewitness testimonies as well as forensic evidence, documents and photographs.

    Perpetrators identified so far include high-level commanders, the report said, although names were withheld due to ongoing investigations and concerns about alerting the individuals.

    Investigators focused on torture partly because many victims were able to identify perpetrators individually, which Mr Koumjian, a former prosecutor, said could help with future convictions.

    "People often know the names or they certainly know the faces of those who torture them or who torture their friends," Mr Koumjian told reporters in Geneva.

    Funding cut concerns investigators

    Myanmar has been in chaos since a 2021 military coup against an elected civilian government plunged the country into civil war. Tens of thousands of people have been detained since then, the United Nations says.

    Junta chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing ended a four-year state of emergency last month and announced the formation of a new government, with himself as acting president, ahead of a planned election.

    The IIMM is investigating abuses in Myanmar since 2011, including crimes committed against the mainly Muslim Rohingya minority in 2017 when hundreds of thousands were forced to flee a military crackdown, and those affecting all groups since the coup.

    The IIMM is supporting jurisdictions investigating the alleged crimes, such as Britain and the International Criminal Court.

    However, Mr Koumjian said UN budget cuts threatened its work.

    Donations for its research on sexual violence and crimes against children, as well as funding for witness security, are set to run out at the end of the year, he said.

    "All of this would have a very substantial effect on our ability to continue to document the crimes and provide evidence that will be useful to jurisdictions prosecuting these cases," he said.

    Reuters/ABC


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     01 Sep: WA police officer ignored Aboriginal prisoner's suicide threat days before his death in custody
     01 Sep: Houthi rebels raid UN offices in Yemen, detain at least 11 employees
     01 Sep: This man has spoken to the Kremlin. He says Putin 'wants to keep war going'
     31 Aug: No Spend September is kicking off on social media to help people save
     31 Aug: Molly's death scene on A Country Practice is iconic. Anne Tenney and Shane Withington have never spoken together till now
     31 Aug: Police seize more than $70m in tobacco and vape products in historic bust
     31 Aug: 'Boot camps' and early intervention part of NT government's plan to prevent youth crime
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    To the updated All Blacks casualty ward.. More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Jetstar's been fined more than two million dollars for misleading nearly one-hundred thousand customers about their compensation rights More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    Jetstar's been fined more than two million dollars for misleading nearly one-hundred thousand customers about their compensation rights 11:17

    Entertainment:
    Travis Kelce has revealed a cocktail at his new Kansas City restaurant inspired by fiancée Taylor Swift's music 11:13

    Rugby League:
    NRL league is bracing for a hush in Sydney, with the possibility of no play-off matches in the game's biggest city during the opening week of the finals 11:07

    Law and Order:
    WA police officer ignored Aboriginal prisoner's suicide threat days before his death in custody 10:47

    Entertainment:
    Donna Kelce is maintaining keepsakes from her son Travis Kelce's engagement to Taylor Swift 10:43

    Netball:
    A return to home comforts in netball's ANZ Premiership for shooter Hannah Glen 10:27

    Politics:
    Houthi rebels raid UN offices in Yemen, detain at least 11 employees 10:17

    Entertainment:
    Donna Kelce is maintaining keepsakes from her son Travis Kelce's engagement to Taylor Swift 10:13

    Motorsports:
    Josef Newgarden has clinched his maiden Indycar race of the season in Tennessee 10:07

    Health & Safety:
    NZ’s shift to more private healthcare will likely raise costs and reduce quality: what the evidence tells us 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd