News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 11:24
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Sir Rod Stewart and his son have pleaded not guilty to allegedly attacking a security guard

    The 75-year-old singer and 39-year-old Sean Stewart were not present in court in Florida on Tuesday (21.01.20) to enter their plea in relation to a simple battery charge stemming from a row at The Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach on New Year's Eve (31.12.19)


    At the hearing, the pair also waived their right to be present during future court hearings and indicated they plan not to appear unless a judge demands it, DailyMail.com reports.

    The next court date for the matter has been scheduled for 8 February.

    If convicted, the pair could be jailed for up to a year.

    Sean previously claimed "the truth will prevail" after he and his dad were charged over the alleged altercation, which reportedly saw them get into a row with staff member Jessie Dixon after they tried to gain entry to a private event in the children's area of the hotel, with the security guard claiming the 'Maggie May' hitmaker had "threw a punch" at him.

    However, Sean blamed the "very aggressive" security guard for the row.

    He added: "My dad always taught me to stick up for my family and my loved ones. That's what I did and the truth will prevail."

    In a police report, Jessie alleged Rod and his family were "loud, caused a scene and refused to follow instructions to leave".

    He claimed he was then "shoved backwards" by Sean, who had been "nose-to-nose" with him before being "punched in the left ribcage" by Rod.

    A friend of the security guard claimed he had been left "quite shaken" by the alleged incident.

    The pal said: "Jessie had given up his New Year's Eve to earn extra money but has been left quite shaken by what happened.

    "Rod and Sean took exception to not being allowed into the party. It turned ugly when Jessie refused them entry.

    "Though there was no drink around the kids' party it was clear to him Rod's group had consumed quite a bit.

    "He was shocked and angry at how quickly events turned, which why he wanted to have charges pressed.

    "He's calming down but is still disturbed by how things became so heated when there were children around."

    Rod and his son were questioned by police and told how their family had "approached the check-in table and attempted to have children in their group gain access."

    After being refused admission, the 'Tonight's the Night' singer accused the security guard of becoming "argumentative", causing the group to become "agitated".

    Police claimed Rod "apologised for his behaviour" and witness statements and video footage are said to suggest Rod "did not intentionally strike Dixon against his will".

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     18 Feb: Apple Martin has admitted to having gotten lip filler
     18 Feb: Rosie O'Donnell is shocked by how "very different" the US feels since she left
     18 Feb: Authorities have warned it could take "years" to find Nancy Guthrie
     18 Feb: Lindsey Vonn is ready to return to the US following a fourth operation
     18 Feb: James Van Der Beek's friends helped him secure a down payment for his home before his death
     18 Feb: Prince William was left in "a state of disbelief" after Catherine, Princess of Wales was diagnosed with cancer
     18 Feb: Harry Styles "felt very alone" the first few times he performed on stage without One Direction
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    England coach Steve Borthwick's responded to their Six Nations rugby defeat to Scotland by making three changes to his run-on side for Sunday's match with Ireland at Dublin More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A sharp rise in food inflation could unfortunately be out of our control More...



     Today's News

    National:
    Make Japan strong again: Sanae Takaichi’s plan to transform her country’s military 11:17

    Hockey:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Jürgen Klopp makes Milano Cortina Games cameo, ice hockey fight ban labelled a 'joke' — quick hits from day 11 11:17

    Soccer:
    Second half drama in the Champions League football clash between Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon 11:07

    Entertainment:
    Apple Martin has admitted to having gotten lip filler 10:57

    Environment:
    Dozens of Canterbury kids spent a night hunkering down in Banks Peninsula - which was cut off by yesterday's torrential rain 10:47

    Law and Order:
    A man's been arrested - after allegedly attempting to break through the cordon at the Mount Maunganui landslide 10:47

    Entertainment:
    Rosie O'Donnell is shocked by how "very different" the US feels since she left 10:27

    International:
    Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission 10:27

    Law and Order:
    Canterbury Police are investigating after a man reportedly exposed himself indecently in Rolleston - and may have done so more than once 10:27

    Politics:
    NZ is slowly slipping on the global corruption index. Is is time for an anti-corruption agency? 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd