News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 9:44
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson won't attend Prince Philip's funeral

    The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral will take place next Saturday (17.04.21) at St George's Chapel in Windsor, but a Downing Street spokesperson has confirmed that the Prime Minister won't be among the attendees


    The spokesperson explained: "The Prime Minister has throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the royal household, and so to allow for as many family members as possible will not be attending the funeral on Saturday."

    The Prime Minister would typically attend the funeral of a senior royal, but plans have been amended because of the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 56-year-old politician - who spent time in hospital last year after being diagnosed with the virus - is keen to allow someone who knew the Duke of Edinburgh better to attend.

    Despite this, the Prime Minister paid a glowing tribute to Prince Philip after his death was announced.

    In particular, he praised Prince Philip's work as an environmentalist and hailed him for creating The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, a scheme for young people that now exists in more than 140 countries worldwide.

    Speaking on Friday (09.04.21), he said: "He was an environmentalist, and a champion of the natural world long before it was fashionable.

    "With his Duke of Edinburgh's Awards Scheme he shaped and inspired the lives of countless young people and at literally tens of thousands of events he fostered their hopes and encouraged their ambitions.

    "We remember the duke for all of this and above all for his steadfast support for Her Majesty the Queen.

    "Not just as her consort, by her side every day of her reign, but as her husband, her 'strength and stay', of more than 70 years."

    The Prime Minister also said that the royal family "have lost not just a much-loved and highly respected public figure but a devoted husband and a proud and loving father, grandfather and in recent years, great grandfather".

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     21 Feb: Khloe Kardashian is "not involved in strategy or operations for Good American"
     21 Feb: Margaret Qualley has made Jack Antonoff less "cynical"
     21 Feb: Paris Hilton and Carter Reum have renewed their wedding vows
     21 Feb: Shia LaBeouf has been arrested in New Orleans following an alleged altercation during Mardi Gras celebrations
     21 Feb: James and Kimberly Van Der Beek renewed their wedding vows days before the actor died
     21 Feb: Jelly Roll and wife Bunnie Xo want to have twins via a surrogate in the future
     21 Feb: All Saints stars Natalie Appleton and Nicole Appleton have revealed the truth behind their band's feud with rival '90s girl group the Spice Girls - they secretly were all friends
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A positive update after a scary moment for skier Fin Melville Ives at the Winter Olympics More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Central Otago is today moving to a prohibited fire season More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    Armed Police were called to a street in Te Puke overnight, after a person was injured in an assault 9:26

    Entertainment:
    Khloe Kardashian is "not involved in strategy or operations for Good American" 9:17

    Entertainment:
    Margaret Qualley has made Jack Antonoff less "cynical" 8:47

    Soccer:
    Satisfaction for the Phoenix women after salvaging a point from their last game in football's A-League before the latest international break 8:36

    Entertainment:
    Paris Hilton and Carter Reum have renewed their wedding vows 8:17

    International:
    Donald Trump says he's considering a limited military strike on Iran to pile on the pressure for a nuclear deal 8:16

    General:
    To the Winter Olympics in Livigno.. 8:06

    Rugby:
    A positive update after a scary moment for skier Fin Melville Ives at the Winter Olympics 7:56

    Law and Order:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's future uncertain under monarch willing to let 'the law take its course' 7:56

    Entertainment:
    Shia LaBeouf has been arrested in New Orleans following an alleged altercation during Mardi Gras celebrations 7:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd