News | Entertainment
23 Feb 2026 7:51
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Minnie Driver says Harvey Weinstein "didn't want" her to be in 'Good Will Hunting'

    The 52-year-old actress - who worked with the convicted rapist when he ex ecutive produced the movie starring and written by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon - claims that he said she wasn't "very f******" despite her performing incredibly well in the audition for the 1997 film while appearing on the podcast 'How to Fail'


    Minnie told host Elizabeth Day on Friday (20.05.22): "He didn't want me to be in the film. Again, he was very vocal about the fact that he didn't think that I was in his words 'f*******'. But it was undeniable, like I was, I really don't say that ever, like I don't particularly think that I've been undeniable and other things particularly. But in that audition, and in 'Good Will Hunting', I was undeniably really good."

    The 'Tarzan' star called the MeToo movement - which was promoted by the arrest of the 70-year-old movie producer, who is currently serving a 23-year prison sentence, in 2017 - "satisfying" despite feeling that some of the those speaking out were "complicit" in the toxic culture.

    Minnie said: "God, it was so satisfying. It was so amazing. It was just so amazing to finally feel all these women like a lot of whose stories I already knew, because you talk in the business, everybody knew everybody knew who not to be left alone in a room with. Everybody knew to hear those publicly, to see them not being shouted down, to see these women going 'Oh, my goodness, we can stand together. And if we stand together, then our voices are stronger.' It was so satisfying. And then I've got to say the other part of that was the kind of astonishment that women that I knew were being super disingenuous about their involvement, women who had been completely complicit and wanted to get ahead by doing certain things, who were then suddenly standing up saying 'yes, yes, it was awful. It was awful'.

    "I realised just, in a way that was another expression of the abuse of everybody, was that wanting to co-op the idea of being a victim later on having been completely fine with doing certain things is also being a victim of those things. So it was really complex. It was kind of amazing. I didn't feel like it was a witch hunt. I thought it was hilarious the amount of men who like 'you know, we're being falsely accused'. And it's like, yeah, tell that to all the other witches."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     23 Feb: Kansas City Chiefs star Chris Jones has launched an impassioned defence of Travis Kelce
     22 Feb: James Van Der Beek was a "great leader on set", according to Algee Smith
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been "released under investigation"
     22 Feb: Khloe Kardashian would "want to be married" before having any more kids
     22 Feb: Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business
     22 Feb: Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting"
     22 Feb: Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have been demolished by the Brumbies 50-24 in Christchurch to close out the second week of Super Rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Business appears to be booming in most parts of the country More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    The woman at the centre of the Jevon McSkimming scandal isn't confirming or denying whether she wrote a tranche of emails demanding money 7:47

    Cricket:
    Grim super eight results for hosts at cricket's T20 World Cup 7:37

    Law and Order:
    US Secret Service agents shoot and kill man trying to unlawfully enter Trump's Mar-a-Lago 7:27

    Business:
    Business appears to be booming in most parts of the country 7:27

    Law and Order:
    An Auckland couple continued buying stolen crayfish, despite knowing it was likely illegal 7:17

    General:
    Indra Brown's phenomenal fifth in freeski halfpipe at 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics a sign of her rapid rise 7:07

    Environment:
    A magnitude 7.1 earthquake has stuck 55 kilometres off the coast of Malaysia near Brunei 7:07

    Entertainment:
    Kansas City Chiefs star Chris Jones has launched an impassioned defence of Travis Kelce 6:17

    Soccer:
    Former Phoenix football manager Ufuk Talay has shown support for the departed Giancarlo Italiano after he stepped down following the 5-nil loss to Auckland FC 5:07

    Auckland:
    Citybound lanes on Auckland's North-Western motorway have now reopened following a two-vehicle crash 22:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd