News | International
3 Apr 2025 16:23
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    US President Donald Trump to meet with cabinet to consider TikTok deal

    US President Donald Trump and his cabinet will meet to consider a proposal ahead of an April 5 deadline for the app to find a non-Chinese buyer or be banned in the United States.


    US President Donald Trump will consider on Thursday a final proposal related to TikTok ahead of an April 5 deadline for the app to find a non-Chinese buyer or face a ban in the United States, a White House official told Reuters.

    Vice-President JD Vance, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, national security adviser Mike Waltz and Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard will meet with Trump in the Oval Office.

    On Monday, Mr Trump said a deal with ByteDance to sell the short video app used by 170 million Americans would be struck before the deadline on April 5.

    He set the deadline in January for TikTok to find a non-Chinese buyer or face a US ban on national security grounds that had briefly taken effect that month under a 2024 law.

    Although it is unclear if ByteDance plans to sell TikTok, several potential bidders have come forward in the past few months.

    The talks on the future of TikTok are coalescing around a plan for the biggest non-Chinese investors in ByteDance to raise their stakes and acquire the app's US operations, Reuters reported last month.

    In January, Perplexity AI presented ByteDance with a merger proposal that would combine Perplexity's business with TikTok's US operation.

    Other potential bidders include a consortium organised by billionaire businessman Frank McCourt, with investors saying they have offered ByteDance $US20 billion ($32 billion) in cash.

    Jesse Tinsley, the founder of payroll firm Employer.com, says he has organised a consortium that is offering ByteDance more than $US30 billion ($48 billion) for TikTok.

    Mr Trump said in January that Microsoft was also eyeing the popular app.

    How the ban unfolded

    This is not the first time the United States has found itself looking down the barrel of a TikTok ban, with the app going dark for more than three weeks at the beginning of the year.

    US Congress passed legislation late last year requiring ByteDance to divest their American operations, or access for users in the United States would be restricted.

    No new owners were found and, after a range of legal challenges from TikTok, US citizens and Mr Trump were unsuccessful, the ban went into effect on January 19.

    It did not last, with Mr Trump signing an executive order on January 20 extending the deadline for a deal to be reached until April 5.

    The US government provided Apple and Google with assurances they would face no penalties for allowing access to the app during the extension period.

    TikTok started working again for users less than a day after it was removed from stores, but it was not restored to Apple and Google storefronts until February 14.

    What happens if a deal is not reached?

    If investors and the White House can not reach a deal before the April 5 deadline, the original ban legislated by Congress and signed by former president Joe Biden will go back into effect.

    Corporations providing access to the app after that date will face penalties in the United States, and the app will be removed from storefronts.

    Mr Trump has suggested he will extend the deadline yet again, however, and can do so for up to 90 days under US law.

    ABC/wires


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     03 Apr: Donald Trump unveils new tariffs amid trade war fears
     03 Apr: Liverpool beats Everton 1-0 in Merseyside derby to extend Premier League lead to 12 points
     03 Apr: New Zealand isn't being exempted from Donald Trump's sweeping tariff plan
     03 Apr: How Top Gun sparked a decades-long bond between Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer
     03 Apr: Why the AI-generated 'Studio Ghibli' trend is so controversial
     03 Apr: Myanmar military announces temporary ceasefire in civil war to help rebuilding efforts after devastating earthquake
     03 Apr: Dozens killed and tens of thousands displaced as Israel signals Gaza land grab
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Beauden Barrett's declaring himself ready to return to Super Rugby this weekend with the Blues More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Donald Trump unveils new tariffs amid trade war fears More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    Beauden Barrett's declaring himself ready to return to Super Rugby this weekend with the Blues 16:17

    Business:
    Donald Trump unveils new tariffs amid trade war fears 16:07

    Entertainment:
    Sean 'Diddy' Combs has had one of the sexual assault lawsuits against him dismissed after the anonymous plaintiff failed to re-file her complaint under her real name 15:48

    Living & Travel:
    The changes continue at the Mainland Tactix 15:47

    Rugby League:
    Determination from former Warrior Dylan Walker to turn the Parramatta Eels' season around in the NRL 15:27

    Entertainment:
    Luke Perry almost killed Jennie Garth with a jet ski 15:18

    Entertainment:
    American President Donald Trump approves of his ex-daughter-in-law Vanessa Trump's romance with Tiger Woods 14:48

    Entertainment:
    Kelsea Ballerini felt like she could not celebrate her work until now due to previous mental health struggles 14:18

    National:
    New modelling reveals full impact of Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ tariffs – with the US hit hardest 14:17

    Health & Safety:
    Health New Zealand is patting itself on the back over improving three of five health targets - since the last quarter 14:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd