News | International
31 Aug 2025 1:09
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Toddler spent close to an hour in suitcase in bus luggage hold, wearing only a diaper

    A New Zealand woman is arrested after travelling on a bus with a two-year-old girl trapped in her luggage.


    A New Zealand woman was arrested after travelling on a bus with a two-year-old girl trapped in her luggage.

    The toddler was found alive in the suitcase on Sunday afternoon, local time, by a driver of an InterCity bus from Whangarei to Auckland.

    A 27-year-old woman was due to appear in the North Shore District Court on Monday charged with ill treatment of a child.

    The child had been in the suitcase for nearly an hour wearing only a nappy, Radio New Zealand reported.

    Police were called after a passenger asked for access to the luggage compartment during a planned stop in Kaiwaka, Northland.

    Detective Inspector Simon Harrison said the driver became concerned when he noticed the bag moving.

    "When the driver opened the suitcase, they discovered the two-year-old girl," he said.

    Mr Harrison said the little girl was reported to be "very hot", but otherwise unharmed.

    She was taken to hospital in a "minor" condition for an extensive medical assessment.

    "We would like to acknowledge and commend the bus driver, who noticed something wasn't right and took immediate action, preventing what could have been a far worse outcome," Mr Harrison said.

    "Police inquiries into this incident are ongoing and further charges cannot be ruled out. Oranga Tamariki has also been notified."

    An InterCity spokesperson said the company was aware of an incident involving a passenger on one of its services earlier on Sunday.

    "Police were called to respond, and they are now investigating the matter.

    "No-one was harmed during the incident and the service has resumed. As this is now an active police investigation, we are unable to comment further."

    Locals in Kaiwaka said they were shocked and saddened to hear what happened to the toddler.

    Kristel Faber, who worked in the Kaiwaka Cheese Shop, said the incident was "bizarre".

    "Just the thought of someone having that idea, putting a toddler in a suitcase … How can people think about doing that …"

    Another local woman, who wished to remain anonymous, said the situation was very sad.

    "I was deeply saddened to hear such a thing. I mean who does that, puts their child in a suitcase, and the suitcase is locked away with the other luggage?"

    She said knowing the toddler was alive and physically unharmed was a relief.

    "I can't fathom how the bag was put in the bottom of the bus and not identified that there was movement in there at the time," she said.

    This story was originally published by Radio New Zealand.


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     30 Aug: One of the most popular apps in the US is 'fuelling a gender divide', experts warn
     30 Aug: King Charles, Prince William and the royals' love-hate relationship with Buckingham Palace
     30 Aug: Australian qualifier Priscilla Hon loses to American Ann Li in the third round of US Open
     30 Aug: North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, will join Russia's Vladimir Putin,, at China's military parade
     30 Aug: Journalists in Gaza say they feel their lives are 'worth nothing'
     30 Aug: Vladimir Putin says he wants peace, but on the front lines in Ukraine there's a different, 'terrifying' reality
     30 Aug: Indonesian protests spread as anger grows over death of motorcycle driver who hit by police car
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Canterbury are showing no signs of relinquishing their dominance of the 20-25 men's NPC More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    A Powerball player from Opotiki has won $12.5 million in tonight's Lotto draw 21:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    Three people are seriously injured after a car crashed in the small Waikato town of Karamu, about 7:30 this evening 21:17

    Business:
    A road freight association's raising concerns a yet-to-be-strengthened Hawkes Bay bridge's costing the region millions 18:57

    Rugby:
    Canterbury are showing no signs of relinquishing their dominance of the 20-25 men's NPC 18:37

    Business:
    A range of salad products, sold at supermarkets, have been recalled for potentially containing metal filings 18:07

    Tennis:
    To the US tennis Open, where Brit Cameron Norrie's lost his seventh match from seven outings against Novak Djokovic 17:37

    Rugby:
    The Canterbury men's rugby team have maintained their unbeaten run in the NPC 17:27

    International:
    One of the most popular apps in the US is 'fuelling a gender divide', experts warn 17:07

    Rugby:
    South Africa may not have been at their best so far in an up-and-down Rugby Championship but a former Springbok is tipping his old side to get up big-time for the All Blacks 16:57

    Motoring:
    High winds are expected on Auckland's Harbour Bridge through to nine this evening 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd